GoogleEarth on Windows 98!

kristobal

Hi!!

I try this method to install GoogleEarth 4.0 on Windows 98: http://aluigi.altervista.org/papers/gearth9x.txt

with...success !!

I prepared "ready-to-run" archive with complete GoogleEarth instalation with hacked base.dll.

Download this file: http://www.sendspace.com/file/ud9g3g

Unpack GoogleEarthzip with subdirectories and copy as GoogleEarth folder to Program Files directory.

Next you must create directory 'Google' in your Application Data folder (for example: c:\Windows\Application Data or something - this folder name based by local/language settings). Copy Res folder to C:\Windows\Application Data\Google and rename this folder to GoogleEarth. So, path must be like a : c:\windows\Application Data\Google\GoogleEarth. Inside this last folder you can see many png files and directories like : de_locale, en_locale etc. The same folder GoogleEarth copy to C:\Windows\Local Settings\Application Data\Google.

Now you need apply google.reg - registry settings - you find this file in main unpacked folder.

That is all - simply run GoogleEarth.exe from Program files\GoogleEarth and enjoy!!

Tested on Windows 98 SE polish version with SP 2.1a.

Hi!!

I try this method to install GoogleEarth 4.0 on Windows 98: http://aluigi.altervista.org/papers/gearth9x.txt

with...success !!

I prepared "ready-to-run" archive with complete GoogleEarth instalation with hacked base.dll.

Download this file: http://www.sendspace.com/file/ud9g3g

Unpack GoogleEarthzip with subdirectories and copy as GoogleEarth folder to Program Files directory.

Next you must create directory 'Google' in your Application Data folder (for example: c:\Windows\Application Data or something - this folder name based by local/language settings). Copy Res folder to C:\Windows\Application Data\Google and rename this folder to GoogleEarth. So, path must be like a : c:\windows\Application Data\Google\GoogleEarth. Inside this last folder you can see many png files and directories like : de_locale, en_locale etc. The same folder GoogleEarth copy to C:\Windows\Local Settings\Application Data\Google.

Now you need apply google.reg - registry settings - you find this file in main unpacked folder.

That is all - simply run GoogleEarth.exe from Program files\GoogleEarth and enjoy!!

Tested on Windows 98 SE polish version with SP 2.1a.

Well done! Works fine here too.

Hi, nice job and nice app if it wasn't for 1) the political propaganda that is contained in it, 2) it's spyware aspect.

Unlike what you say it can be run from anywhere, the res folder does not need to be copied in the appdata folders and the included registry file appears useless.

I've been looking for a way to run GE for quite a while and it's very nice to hear that someone has got it to work. But... I can't get it to work myself for some reason, I get this:

errorpu4.jpg

Any hints would be appreciated as I need this application quite often. Yes, there are Google Maps, but I also need to measure distances etc.

I tried this 'numerous' times Exactly as indicated, and can not get this to work on my 'Stock' ms W98SE setup. It will not log on the the servers and just sit there forever and hang, and I have to end task on googleearth.exe to clear.

I get the same error as dtamonis

Could not load

Alchemy:alchemy\ogl\libIGSg

I've tried removing msvcrt.dll, but that does nothing.

I followed the text file, with the exception of putting the appdata contents into my respective profile appdata directory instead of the default win\appdata directory.

This shouldn't make a difference, it seems to be a problem with GoogleEarth\alchemy\ogl\libIGSg.dll, which I have no experience in fixing.

Any other suggestions?

Try deleting the NT only msvcrt.dll file that's in the Google Earth folder.

Whether that file is there or not is still the same, this Screenshot shows where it hangs at - which first it quickly prompts performing login, and then that prompt changes to say finishing login.. but that's where it stops and hangs, crtl-alt-del on the ge...exe is the only way to clear it. SF Firewall is off, however I sit behind a NAT if that matters but shouldn't. Maybe it works fine for ME or kristobal's SP 2.1a, but not for a stock SE anyway.

Yes of course I have the unicows.dll, and have other programs that require it too.

I have GE installed on my W2Kpro & WXPro partitions and it always works fine, and so it does not really matter to me at all if it does not work on my SE partition and my post is only an fyi for the OP to know that in some instances it will not work for a stock W98SE.