Mouse Speed Issue

pS-

Hello,

I just got this mouse;

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mo...s.aspx?pid=008

from a friend for free, since he doesnt use it anymore.

i came home and installed the "Microsoft Mouse" software. The problem is that eventhough i have the tracking speed set to the max, i still have to skip accross my monitor.

Can someone tell me whats going on here?

Btw, right now my resolution is 1680x1050 (like before).

acceleration doesnt increase the true speed tho, any many people hate acceleration, such as me. for my logitech mx518 when i install its drivers, the mouse speed just does'nt feel right, so i use the default windows drivers.

acceleration doesnt increase the true speed tho, any many people hate acceleration, such as me. for my logitech mx518 when i install its drivers, the mouse speed just does'nt feel right, so i use the default windows drivers.

And how do you expect to navigate a 1680x1050 screen without using mouse acceleration?

As for the Logitech drivers, it's to be expected that you're not going to like how your mouse feels if you don't tweak your settings after you install the drivers. I have the MX510 and have no qualms with Logitech's drivers.

well i just like how the basic drivers feal to me, so i guess if you like it you will use it.. acceleration is one of those preferences. you like it and i dont. now his monitor only has 200px more width than mine, thats not much. i dont use acceleration and im perfectly happy.

well i just like how the basic drivers feal to me, so i guess if you like it you will use it.. acceleration is one of those preferences. you like it and i dont. now his monitor only has 200px more width than mine, thats not much. i dont use acceleration and im perfectly happy.

You obviously didn't read his question properly. I quote, "The problem is that eventhough i have the tracking speed set to the max, i still have to skip accross my monitor.".

and i said its the driver. or also the dpi of the mouse. i can move my mouse an inch and go across the whole screen.

Unless he has a variable DPI mouse, the DPI is not the issue. As in most things, it probably simply requires proper configuration.

I've got no drivers on my MX518, acceleration turned off, and DPI setting to 800 (the mid setting), and I don't have the problem you describe. Also - I've got the "speed" set to just over halfway.

I'd also suggest trying uninstalling the Microsoft drivers. I've only had bad experiences with Intellipoint drivers...

Actually...the latest IntelliPoint drivers work pretty good. You can't get some of the features of their newer mice without installing the IntelliPoint drivers. The newest Logitech mice are the say way...

The mouse he got is a very basic optical mouse. It's one of the first (maybe second) gen optical mice though. The DPI is pretty low compared to newer optical mice. It still shouldn't require the tracking slider to be all the way up though. I've got people at work using the same basic mouse (black/charcoal version) on dual screens. I know for a fact they don't have to "skip" across the screen(s).

You may want to try uninstalling the software just to see how it performs. It's possible that it's the software, but I don't think it is.

Edited by nmX.Memnoch

But jcarle - what if he doesn't want to use acceleration? I don't need it on my WSXGA screen. It's not a matter of the acceleration setting - that just changes the velocity profile of the cursor relative to the velocity of the mouse (acceleration is a bad word for it...).