Install XP nLited from Hard disk

blestgrowl

Hello,I need to install Xp nlited in a old Fujitsu subnotebook,that doesn't have Floppy or CD-rom,so to install a new OS I need to put the whole contents of my Xp nlited in the existing Win 98SE partition,and then run the setup process to install from the HD...

My problem is that my nlited xp version don't start automatically the setup process!!!

If i put the whole contents of my original XP cd,inside there is a "setup.exe",that run the installation,but in my nlited xp version,no "setup.exe" is present...so I can't run installation from HD.

I'd like to know if this is my personal error in make my nlited version or it's normal,and if I can add the setup.exe , to run it from HD where is installed win98se, without boot it from CD(I haven't CD-rom and floppy in my laptop,and bios doesn't support usb boot)

Hope you can understand and help me,sorry for my bad English and for newbie questions! :blushing:

Bye :hello:

you can try something like this from a Win98 session:

-%SetupFolder%\winnt32 /s:%SetupFolder% /syspart:F /tempdrive:F

%SetupFolder% is your new windows i386 folder

F is the drive where you want to install

The idea is that F becomes the active drive so that your computer boots from that one after restart

Edited by BikinDutchman

1- blestgrowl i think that u will not be able to setup xp from hard disk because you remove manual install and upgrade when you used nlite so you should use nlite again on a fresh non tweaked xp source then try to not remove "manual install and upgrade" from operating system options

2- another way u can copy this files below to your already nlited xp from the original source:"I'm not sure of that and if it works u will not be able to upgrade win98 you can just do new installation & u will get pop-up that tell u that"

-copy SETUP.EXE to your nlited xp

-copy WINNT32.EXE , WINNT32A.DLL , WINNT32U.DLL , WINNTBBA.DLL , WINNTBBU.DLL from source i386 folder to nlited xp i386 folder

Thanks all.

I try to explain my problems in few words:

When I mount my Xp nLited in my Virtual drive(thanks to Daemon tool),I need that it autorun setup and show me this:

setupffftq4.jpg

Is it possible?

zikozoko,Today I try and post results

BikinDutchman,think it's too complicated for a newbie like me :blushing:

Thanks again.

Long time reader, first post ...

This is what I did with my old lappy that did not have floppy or CD, I purchased a USB external harddrive enclosure, connected it to my "NEWER" machine and installed XP on it. Worked like a charm. When windows was done installing itself and re-booting, I but the HD back into the laptop to properly configure itself and drivers. Hope this helps.

Actually the best you can do is to remove your harddrive and then install XP on another laptop that has the same ACPI HAL (look it up).

After you have installed XP on the other laptop (no need for drivers and such) simply use Sysprep (look it up) and make sure to set option reset SID (The security ID).

Using Sysprep is only a matter of drop two files (free from MS) in a specific directory on your C drive and click'em, it takes 15 seconds and it's done...very simple.

After that you simply drop back the harddrive in your own laptop and start it up.

You will go through a simplified setup and enter key and such again, but the install will be flawless.

This is the by far 'cleanest' method you can use ;)

Actually the best you can do is to remove your harddrive and then install XP on another laptop that has the same ACPI HAL (look it up).

After you have installed XP on the other laptop (no need for drivers and such) simply use Sysprep (look it up) and make sure to set option reset SID (The security ID).

Using Sysprep is only a matter of drop two files (free from MS) in a specific directory on your C drive and click'em, it takes 15 seconds and it's done...very simple.

After that you simply drop back the harddrive in your own laptop and start it up.

You will go through a simplified setup and enter key and such again, but the install will be flawless.

This is the by far 'cleanest' method you can use ;)

I can't remove the HD...to do this I need to disassemble the whole laptop...It's a rare Japanese fujitsu subnotebook,and really don't know how to "fit my hands inside it" :sneaky:

I want only that my nLited XP start setup like the original CD...

I've already installed XP in this subnotebook simply mounted the ISO image of my originalXP CD and start setup,but System run slow so I want to install Nlited version,but to do this I need that also my nlited version start setup like screenshot above...

It is not that difficult

Assuming you have two drives, for instance your HDD and a CD or two partitions on your HDD

Use Notepad to make a file Install.bat with the following 3 lines:

SET InstallRoot=???

SET SetupFiles=%InstallRoot%\WinXP\i386

%SetupFiles%\winnt32 /s:%SetupFiles% /syspart:### /tempdrive:###

Change ??? in the first line into the drive or path were your windows installation is (Example D:)

Change ### in the third line into the letter of the drive were you want to install (example F)

Execute Install.bat

### must be active on reboot, you can make drives active with FDISK

If ### is the Win98 disk, the XP installation may overwrite your Win98 or you make it dual boot.

Try at own risk, backup your critical data before going into this type of monkeying

I also uploaded my Install.txt; you must rename to Install.bat yourself.

Install.txt

Edited by BikinDutchman

ok, heres what you do, you create your XP in nLite, and you DO NOT removing Manual Install and Upgrade. copy the files onto a flashdrive, external hard drive, whatever you want, copy them to the laptop drive, use Daemon tools to install it.

if you can't, get an external optical drive...if all else fails, you could get a PCMCIA adapter? and use that for USB or whatever?

i realize you have no drives to use to help you in the installation, but i don't get why you can't just get an external drive to use?

it can't be that hard.