Windows 98 in the Public Domain?

Andromeda43

Just today, my friend and software guru told me that he read (somewhere) that Microsoft has released windows 98, 98/SE and ME into the public domain.

I take that to mean that we are free to sell it, buy it, or modify it in any way we want, without fear of prosecution.

Have any of y'alls heard anything about that? :sneaky:

Andromeda43 :ph34r:

That would shock the heck out of me if true. I kind of think it would be impossible since lots of Windows stuff still in Vista today started with 9x. That's too much proprietary code for Microsoft to just release to the masses.

Incredibly cool if it ever would happen though. I just think its too completely against everything that Microsoft has always fought for, meaning that proprietary we own the thing so you can only use it as long as we like you and keep paying us money kind of attitude.

Nah, the guy must be mistaken. Or he read someone's April Fool's joke.

yeah, i thought they still had copyright on windows 1.01 which was realeased in 1985 and im sure its not going to hurt ms if the realeased a 22 year old OS which i didnt think was very popular anyway

Just today, my friend and software guru told me that he read (somewhere) that Microsoft has released windows 98, 98/SE and ME into the public domain.

Andromeda43

If that would have happened, they would have had released some kind of official statement, and as far as I can tell the web is "mum" on this subject.

Have you tried to search for this subject using Google.com?

And if that would be true, we, here at MSFN, we would be able to post any M$ file from setup CD-ROMs/floppies without having to worry about M$ lawyers telling us to take them down, don't you think?

Maybe you should ask your "software guru" what is his source for this rumor...

Just out of curiosity, you may want to learn how trustworthy your source really is. ;)

Microsoft has never released any version of DOS or Windows into "the public domain". EVER. Not DOS 3.3 or even 1.0. What makes anyone think they're going to do that for Win 98?

A silly rumor.

Mdgx is right, just try putting free copies of any version of DOS or Windows up on a website for download and see how M$ reacts. The only time they ever give anything away for free is to destroy another company or a competing software (like they started giving IE away free in the mid 90's to kill Netscape.)

Edited by the xt guy

Good point, unfortunately. And now that we spoke of abandonware, i am making a little project for rescue some programs and utilities for modern classic macintosh(mid-end 90`s era) because (in most of cases) they are not available on legal and illegal sources. Simply they are lost in the time. An example is Virtualpc 1.0 or 2.0 for macintosh (i have a license of VPC 2.0 but VPC 3.0 is the oldest commercial version and is not supported for its "new" owner, Micro****) and im looking for the 2.13 version update because VPC 2.0 doesnt work on macos 8.6 or 9. We know that Micr*s*ft bought this Connectix product a long time ago and put off the classic macos support for virtualpc :no: .

EDIT: Thanks for the explanation.

Im glad for the "resistance call" that this site promotes. This prevents the bad experiences to use old OS as if they were new (as in my case). Is really amazing.

Edited by chillinfart

Abandonware does not equal public domain. Big difference...

How anyone of yous can even imagine any Windows9x in a public domain without the DOS?!

Its like giving away a "free" car, but you still must pay for engine LOL

No, Microsoft hasn't waived any of its OS copyrights. BUT: The rules for OEM licenses are more liberal than most people think. This is from a Microsoft webpage, dated May 2005, now dead URL http://www.microsoft.com/uk/partner/traini...cs/default.aspx

A carfully proof-read quote from the printed hardcopy, under the title "Refurbished PCs", reads:

"A refurbished computer is a computer system that has had substantial hardware modifications. The end user will need a new license if the modifications have essentially created a 'new' PC.

Generally, you may upgrade or replace ALL of the hardware components on your customer's computer without the need for a new operating system license. The exception to this is if you upgrade or replace the motherboard AND chassis. This is considered to result in a 'new PC' and the end user will need a new operating system license." (The capitalization of the two key words ALL + AND is added.)

This means that all that is needed to keep an OEM license alive, (if the machine was bought new, or with its documents esp. the Certificate of Authenticity), is to keep alive and use the chassis --- or any other component --- of that computer. Even motherboard replacement is OK. Since the chassis is essentially breakdown proof, this means the OEM license need not ever expire.

A stray junk Win-OEM chassis won't do, as it must be ascertained that someone else somewhere isn't using that OEM license based on another stray component from the same machine. This is because the OEM license must be used on only one machine. Used Win98/ME OEM computers are cheap. The only problem is finding one with its documentation available intact, which is required, for the reason stated above.

So, even though Windows 98 is not in the public domain, it is closer to it than some people have been led to believe.

No, Microsoft hasn't waived any of its OS copyrights. BUT: The rules for OEM licenses are more liberal than most people think. This is from a Microsoft webpage, dated May 2005, now dead URL http://www.microsoft.com/uk/partner/traini...cs/default.aspx

A carfully proof-read quote from the printed hardcopy, under the title "Refurbished PCs", reads:

"A refurbished computer is a computer system that has had substantial hardware modifications. The end user will need a new license if the modifications have essentially created a 'new' PC.

Generally, you may upgrade or replace ALL of the hardware components on your customer's computer without the need for a new operating system license. The exception to this is if you upgrade or replace the motherboard AND chassis. This is considered to result in a 'new PC' and the end user will need a new operating system license." (The capitalization of the two key words ALL + AND is added.)

This means that all that is needed to keep an OEM license alive, (if the machine was bought new, or with its documents esp. the Certificate of Authenticity), is to keep alive and use the chassis --- or any other component --- of that computer. Even motherboard replacement is OK. Since the chassis is essentially breakdown proof, this means the OEM license need not ever expire.

A stray junk Win-OEM chassis won't do, as it must be ascertained that someone else somewhere isn't using that OEM license based on another stray component from the same machine. This is because the OEM license must be used on only one machine. Used Win98/ME OEM computers are cheap. The only problem is finding one with its documentation available intact, which is required, for the reason stated above.

So, even though Windows 98 is not in the public domain, it is closer to it than some people have been led to believe.

OK... exactly what part of Windows 98 OEM or End User Agreement/Licence have anything even remotely pointing to public domain?