E6600 PSU

bonestonne

ok, i recently built my friends computer, E6600, 2GB DDR2 ram, 300GB hard drive, creative soundcard for a studio and everything.

when i built it, i installed speedfan to make sure the system was alright, and it was far from it. all the voltage rails were very low, and today he told me that it had just shut off on him. i do believe the PSU is a full size ATX, however its possible that its a mATX size. i'm not sure of the Wattage on what he has now, but i do know he's gonna need a new one soon, real soon.

any suggestions that people have on what brand, wattage etc will be much appreciated. as for price, just try to keep it under $100, i don't want to run him out of house and home for this rig, although i do know he has a fair amount to use.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817103941

great rebate on this one!!! its a good psu too. ends in a few days tho...

That's a horrid PSU. Not only has Antec, the company, been having issues, the NeoHE is the most problem prone line of their entire PSU lineup. 36% of 207 buyers on NewEgg did not like, or had problems with, the one you recommended. How is that a good PSU?

For $20 more you can get a Seasonic 550W ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817151027 ) with 88% of buyers rating it 5 out 5. Why save $20 for problems?

thats 60$, and its not a bad psu at all. have you ever used it? i know multiple people with it and its perfect. check out all the reviews on it, they love it too. and antec is not a bad psu manufacturer.

thats 60$, and its not a bad psu at all. have you ever used it? i know multiple people with it and its perfect. check out all the reviews on it, they love it too. and antec is not a bad psu manufacturer.

Antec's quality has gone downhill. They used to have good power supplies. Unfortunately, things change.

How many hours do you spend reading up on power supplies? Do you review comparisons made using full load testers? Do you verify voltage ripple results? What about active power factor correction? What about efficiency? What about RMAs? How many power supplies do you send for RMA in a year? How many have you installed? Do you know what the ATX specifications are for power supplies? Do you know which power supply manufacturers OEM to other brand names?

The only thing you've mentioned is that because "your friends" don't have any problems with it, it must be good. Considering NewEgg lists 36% of it's buyers have serious issues with the NeoHE, 56% of voters on SPCR have problems with it and considering a quick google search will yield 73,900 hits for NeoHE problems, I think you don't have a leg to stand on.

Antec moved to Fuhjyyu capacitors and considerably obliterated their power supply's lifespans. And by the way, Antec is not a manufacturer of power supplies, it's just a brand name. Antec power supplies are manufactured by Channel Well Technology primarily, some are also OEMed by Seasonic.

i dont test these power supplies and you know i dont, i dont have the tools, and you dont need to insult me about it. i leave it to reviewers for these results. you also know that im only 17! so obviously im the tech manager in a huge company. the newegg poll isnt accurate either. not everyone who has it has posted. with every product there will be problems. maybe this psu has lots of problems but its not going to be at a 56% rate.

i dont test these power supplies and you know i dont, i dont have the tools, and you dont need to insult me about it. i leave it to reviewers for these results. you also know that im only 17! so obviously im the tech manager in a huge company. the newegg poll isnt accurate either. not everyone who has it has posted. with every product there will be problems. maybe this psu has lots of problems but its not going to be at a 56% rate.

My goal is not to insult you. My goal is to make a point. The point is simple.

If you're going to make a claim back it up with fact because if you don't I'm going to bring fact to show you how you're wrong. I don't counter-post people's post when they're right or they state an opinion. But if you're going to make statements that people are going to refer to for information, and the information is wrong, of course I'm going to post to disprove this misinformation.

Some people like AMD, others like Intel. That is preference. Saying AMD makes bad processors (just because I like Intel ones) is making a false statement, it simply isn't true. The same applies to Antec power supplies. They are no longer the holy grail in power supplies, especially the NeoHE series which has been reknown for it's problems. If you're going to say they're good, which can be proven wrong, of course I'm going to make it a point to illustrate that point.

My goal on MSFN as a long time member is to educate members, help them understand topics and assist them in making diagnostics and decisions. I wouldn't be very useful to the MSFN community if I spread misinformation.

ok, before theres bloodshed or something silly like that, the current PSU he has is 350W...since the Seasonic is definately 1up'ing every octopus there is, can we maybe find a modular one?

i talked to him about it just a few minutes ago, he's been using his old computer for the time being, as he doesn't want to hurt his system atm.

its in a mATX case:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16811108043

500 or up seems to be a good wattage, so i guess thats alright to stick to, also, he has 1 optical drive, one floppy, one hard drive, and requires the following:

1xSATA

1xmolex

1x24pinATX

1x4pinCPU

1xfloppy[he wants one, i'm not arguing]

thats what he requires...if theres a good PSU that gives out about that much, it will be very helpful, especially if its modular, because i don't want to have to try and stuff all the cables somewhere, because its a small case, and that could get tricky..also, i'm unsure at the moment of how to get the current PSU out, i'm guessing slide it toward the front of the case?

instead of arguing about a PSU, why don't we all just go treasure hunting for a 500w modular PSU?

if it was my computer, i'd want it kept well, since its not mine, i want it kept perfect, the less arguing the better, different people have different experiences with hardware.

as the cheif engineer at my schools radio station always says, "agree to disagree, and we'll all get along better."

Edited by bonestonne

also, i'm unsure at the moment of how to get the current PSU out, i'm guessing slide it toward the front of the case?

More than likely you're going to have to pull the motherboard...and probably the CD/DVD drive.

Not to start a whole other debate...but what motherboard did you put in that system?

its some aBit mobo...i'll have to look in the system to find out the boards model. or i can check later, but most likely not today.

also, the PSU is in a chamber sort of area above the board where the DVD drive is, and since its closed, and screws into th back, not having the system here where i can see it means that i can only guess.

i'll talk to him about what he's got in the way of funds for it, and then see what happens.

this is very off topic, but how come LGA775 processors don't have pins on them, and its all on the board? would the pressure damage them or something? i noticed it during the build, and as its nothing i've ever seen before i thought it was weird.