Is It Time For An Faq?

Hey guys. Ever since this Unattended Windows XP install thing took off here there has been insane amounts of traffic in here. I myself have yet to attempt the unattended install but I have been reading and "learning". Basically what I'm suggesting is maybe there should be a "FAQ" pinned at the top. If it's possible to stay at the very top, even better. There are a LOT of really good questions that are repeated frequently and some new ones that everyone should know off the bat. Because of all the traffic though, it's a little unorganized.

I'd be willing to volunteer to do this but I haven't actually made an unattended install yet. If people would be willing to help by picking the BASIC questions/answers from this forum that are of the MOST help and message them to me, I can put together a list etc. Keeping in mind that it would have to consist of the basic things. We're not talking switches for every single program everyone wants to install. Just the basic things to start people off in the right direction. That way when a new person comes here to post a simple question during their first time creating an unattended install, they don't have to search through this heap :)

Anyway..lemme know what you guys thing of this idea.

Edit: BAH! I meant "Is it time for a FAQ?" lol meh.

There is a SEARCH function and there is an unattended page.  http://unattended.MSFN.org  I don't know that a FAQ would do much good because you would just have to search through it anyways.

When I'm learning to do something and I go to whichever forum to check it out the first thing I look for at the top above the "mess" below, is a FAQ with ALL of the basics. It stops people from asking the same questions over again. Besides, I'm not willing to say "Did you search the site?" every 5 minutes. Either way...the website gives you the directions. It doesn't tell you everything. That's why people come here. I mean a general FAQ for in here. Where most of the tweaking takes place.

It'll be a very very big FAQ if one was ever created, there's so many different combinations to accomplish something unattended, so it'll be kind of difficult. I just keep the simple stuff on site, but it is in desperate need of an update which I should get around to! :)

I find this site to be one of the most `newbie` friendly I have come across. You only occasionally get a synical "use search" :/

The problem with the search is often you cant narrow down a decent keyword. For example I wanted to talk about DVD unattended installs ... It wont accept just `DVD` and I could not for the life of me pick the other keywords to assist.

To that end it would be nice to see a few basic FAQ`s pinned.

More importantly it would be great to see The latest script/method by individuals. As example I have tried to keep track of gosh`s scripts, without wanting to blow smoke up his butt :rolleyes: They are **** good!

Also without being disrespectful to others AaronXP, daveXP and gosh seem to have an encyclopedia of knowledge between them. Would it be possible to pin your scripts and commands that you use personally - as a reference/guide.

They are scattered all over at present, thoughts ???

:)

Not really talking about writting a huge FAQ with everything (That's mostly what the unattended site is for). I'm talking about some of the basic stuff. Like for instance "What are the switches generally used?" etc. Just static stuff. Not the stuff that can be customized endlessly. I realize most of it is customizable, but some of the stuff is static.

A faq would require a lot of work by a member. I guess anyone could volunteer, but I have found that as long as you are good at searching you will most likely find what you need. How are you supposed to suppress all of the information in a whole section into one thread? Also, it would be opinionated. Each person has a way of doing things.

Ok let's try this again.

The FAQ would be a "tweaking" FAQ. A FAQ from the information HERE in this forum. Not from the unattended website. This FAQ would host the frequently asked questions in this forum here. Let's face it, not everyone is a "pro" at searching, and to believe that most people would just come here to ask a question and search first, would be naive. That never happens. Either way it was just a suggestion. Anyway...