Do 32 bit vista keys work with 64 bit installs?

Hirudin

I've receintly bought a few copies of Vista on eBay. One of them was a Business-Full-Retail version. I've received the disc but since I'd like to install the 64 bit version I've ordered a 64 bit disc from Microsoft. I had to enter my DVD Key to order the disc.

I called Microsoft, they made it seem like the 64 bit disc would come with another key. I can only presume that the key I used to order the disc is now no longer valid...

Have any of you ordered alternative media from Microsoft?

1. Do they just send a new disc, or do they send a new key as well?

1b. What form does the new key take? Is it a nice COA sticker like all copies of XP used to have, or is it a cheap, ugly, yellow sticker affixed to the packaging?

In the same conversation with Microsoft they also made it seem like the key that I already have would work with either a 32 or 64 bit install.

2. Do all full-retail keys work with either 32 or 64 bit installs?

3. What about OEM keys and/or upgrade keys?

The main reason I ask, is I have another disc/key coming (a Premium-Full-Retail). I'm going to use this license to install a 64 bit version on another computer.

4. Am I going to need to order a completely seperate 64 bit DVD and key for this as well, or can I just use the key included with the 32 bit packaging and use any 64 bit DVD for the install?

Thanks to anyone who can help! By the way, I've searched around the forums and the net for definative answers to these questions but as of yet have been unable to find any. I think I'll call MS again, and ask another CSR. I'll post her/his responses here...

Edited by Hirudin

OK... Talked to MS again. Here's what they said this time... There's really only 1 bit that's different than the first time.

1. They send a disc and a key.

1b. They weren't sure about this <--- I'm still very curious about this, if anyone knows!

2. No, 32 bit needs a 32 bit key, 64 bit needs a 64 bit key. (This is different than what the first rep told me, but I think he may have been mistaken.)

3. OEM is not elijable for alternate media, at least not 64 bit. I forgot to get a specific answer for upgrades...

4. Yes. Since the key I will be getting is 32 bit only, I'll have to order a whole new disc and key for the other disc as well. Boo! 10 more bucks, more waiting... lame!

Well, at least with the new keys I don't have to worry that the eBay seller copied them down before shipping to me...

All keys except Starter Edition will work with either 32 bit or 64 bit. Starter Edition keys will only work with 32 bit.
Not true.

My notebook came with Ultimate 64 bit.

I've got like 5 programs I like that I cannot use since they do not run under 64 bit.

iTunes does not recognize my burner as a burner, just a regular CD/DVD player under 64 bit, but does recognize it as a burner under 32 bit.

So the choice was clear, I needed to get a 32 bit Vista.

I was given a 32 bit Ultimate disc & was told the same thing, that my key would work.

Not a chance, my key does not validate the 32 version I have.

I did the clean bloatware free install, added only the necessary drivers, wifi, quickplay, updated nVidia & wireless mouse.

I started getting "this copy of windows is not validated errors & had the call MS, re enter key or reinstall Windows errors" & I have a legit disc!

So now I have to go back to my 64 bit version, or buy a 32 bit version to get its specific key.

All keys except Starter Edition will work with either 32 bit or 64 bit. Starter Edition keys will only work with 32 bit.
Not true.

My notebook came with Ultimate 64 bit.

I've got like 5 programs I like that I cannot use since they do not run under 64 bit.

iTunes does not recognize my burner as a burner, just a regular CD/DVD player under 64 bit, but does recognize it as a burner under 32 bit.

So the choice was clear, I needed to get a 32 bit Vista.

I was given a 32 bit Ultimate disc & was told the same thing, that my key would work.

Not a chance, my key does not validate the 32 version I have.

I did the clean bloatware free install, added only the necessary drivers, wifi, quickplay, updated nVidia & wireless mouse.

I started getting "this copy of windows is not validated errors & had the call MS, re enter key or reinstall Windows errors" & I have a legit disc!

So now I have to go back to my 64 bit version, or buy a 32 bit version to get its specific key.

This is beacause your PC uses OEM Activation 2.0 and has nothing to do with which version you are using. You should use a keyfinder to determine what Key was used to install at the factory and backup the XRM-MS file. When you install the 32bit use the factory key and import the XRM-MS file using SLMGR.VBS. For more information see the following thread: No oembios files for Windows Vista?

I do it without problems with my academic alliance copies of vista business, and so far i've been able to use my key with both 32 and 64 bit.

So I'd hazard a safe guess towards the idea of you being able to, purely because I do it on a dailybasis at college...

Sorry for taking so long to post the answers to my own questions.

I am now talking from experience...

1. They only send you a new disc, in a plain white sleeve. No new key. It's odd that the Microsoft CSR (after putting me on hold to verify the answer to this question) was actually incorrect...

1b. N/A

2. It appears so (from what others have said) and from my own experience. I used the key from my 32 bit packaging to activate my 64 bit Windows.

3. It seems that other people are saying that OEM keys will activate either version. I was under the impression MS wont let you order a 64 bit disc if you mistakingly order a 32 bit OEM.

Q5. Has anyone out there actually activated a 64 bit OEM install using a key from 32 bit OEM packaging? (or a 32 install using a 64 key)

4. No, it doesn't appear that I'll actually have to order another disc.