vista at best buy

dcyphure

And the error is a STOP 0xD1, or DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL in that ar1124.sys driver. That means that the driver specified (don't know what the ar1124.sys driver is, but it's probably an HP system driver) attempted to access pageable memory using a kernel process IRQL that was too high - this causes a scheduler event, but anything IRQL2 or lower cannot initiate scheduler events or a bugcheck occurs (as we see).

Generally, this is the driver's fault listed in the bugcheck, although I have seen it caused by bad RAM before. As with any OS, it's only as good (or, in this case, as BAD) as the drivers you load onto it. Note that almost all bugchecks are not caused by Windows - they're driver or hardware errors!.

And the error is a STOP 0xD1, or DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL in that ar1124.sys driver. That means that the driver specified (don't know what the ar1124.sys driver is, but it's probably an HP system driver) attempted to access pageable memory using a kernel process IRQL that was too high - this causes a scheduler event, but anything IRQL2 or lower cannot initiate scheduler events or a bugcheck occurs (as we see).

Generally, this is the driver's fault listed in the bugcheck, although I have seen it caused by bad RAM before. As with any OS, it's only as good (or, in this case, as BAD) as the drivers you load onto it. Note that almost all bugchecks are not caused by Windows - they're driver or hardware errors!.

yeah..it happens due to RAM too..i have got this error many times whn i was playing with my mobo. to overclock my PC.. i think this is nice tht vista atleast shown the error code, tht we can understand it is IRQL error...while XP never shown any errors it just got hanged....so at this point...vista is good at troubleshooting!

tell that one to the people who walk by looking to buy a new computer..lol, i mean average people dont know that kind of stuff nor have a clue what your talking about if you stood there and told them. they would read the ad, look at the monitor and go back home.

fortunatly i havnt really had much issues with vista...in fact this is the longest run i have ever had in an OS without reinstalling/reformating. so far its been well over a month and its running good, games run good but the copy protection wont read the disc forcing me to use nodvd patches. i have had a couple sudden bsod hardware errors..funny thing is i never got them with XP on this same hardware

tell that one to the people who walk by looking to buy a new computer..lol, i mean average people dont know that kind of stuff nor have a clue what your talking about if you stood there and told them. they would read the ad, look at the monitor and go back home.

Isn't that the job of the BestBuy staff? I mean, I know that (with few exceptions) they probably can't, but still - they're supposedly all "Vista trained" (or whatever the heck that means).

As to your hardware failures, this was also the case going from NT4 to Windows 2000 or 2003 - the OS is more stringent about hardware issues, and does tax hardware further than XP does. But, that said, most "hardware" bugchecks are still caused by crappy drivers, not the actual hardware itself. Bad hardware generally causes more chaos and freezing/pausing/stuttering than bugchecks.