Computer wont boot up

the_anomaly

Hi,

I've been facing this problem for the last week or so.

As i switch on the power to the CPU the PSU runs , the LED on the Motherboard lights up, the Processor fan runs, the Combo Drive works and so does the Fan on the Gfx Card.

But the monitor remains blank....Not even the BIOS check and since I don't have a cabinet speaker, so no beeps either.

But once I remove the Monitor cable from the port it shows the cable as unplugged( ie theres a display on the screen).

I thought it was some problem with the board and took it to the service centre (it was under warranty). They gave me another board but there is no change in the situation. I havent been able to get my RAM checked since i had an idea it might be the culprit.

Can any1 suggest anything? Can there be a problem with the HDD or the processor?

System Specs

AMD Athlon64 2800+

Asus K8S-MX Board

Kingston 512 MB 400 MHZ DDR (single stick)

Seagate Barracuda 160GB SATA

BIG Grafix Card with an Nvidia6200 Chipset (256 MB RAM)

Frontech 300W PSU

Samsung Combo Drive

When you say you don't have a cabinet speaker, do you mean that the PC didn't come with an internal speaker? Also, pull the ram out and boot up the system. If that's the problem you will receive an error message. Also, pull out the processor, if there's something wrong with it, the same thing would happen as with ram.

More likely it sounds like there's a problem with your power supply. Can you swap it out with a known good power supply?

Yea when i built the the system the speaker wasnt there. Im thinking abt getting one now and putting it in.

I have tried Booting with RAM pulled out of the slot and there was no error ...the same blank screen staring at my face.

I'll try pulling out the processor as well and will check again.

I just hope it isnt the HDD. I havent got my data backed up...

I tried the GFX card thing too..Yanked it out and put it back..no change

Thanx for the response.

I will be looking forward to and appreciate any and all further suggestions.

i have a pc in the same situation...........i have tried all the solutions suggested but it still wont boot.....

its a 3ghz prescott core

3gb Corsair RAM

3 IDE HHD

400watt psu

When you say that it doesn't boot, do you mean that it doesn't turn on at all? As in no lights? Or is it the same situation as anomaly?

Anomaly, I doubt your HDD is causing the issue because the system would at least show you the main screen.

BTW, did any of you guys add any hardware recently?

Does the motherboard support onboard graphics? If it does, plug it in there and see if it works. It could also be that the graphics card is dead. Can you temporarily swap that out with a known working one?

Edited by CptMurphy

i have seen this problem numerous times with graphics cards, either loose or dead, as stated earlier.

your motherboard does have onboard video so just pull your video card out for now. im not sure how ur mobo is setup for onboard... so check your manual and see if you need to set a jumper for it.

Edited by ripken204

if the leds arent lighting i would check the psu. i had a computer the other day (i was fixing it for a friend) that wouldnt even boot he bios info, it turned out the psu was running but there was a short between 2 pins on a molex that switched the psu off after a small period (psu's are small switch mode power supplies with a current limiter circuit. if the current draw is too much the psu will shut off)

hi again

Answers to the queries put up :

1) I havent added any hardware . Was just planning to put in another 512MB of RAM. This thing started off while i was watching a movie. The system froze in the middle of the climax(****!!!) and then wudnt boot up.

Yea theres something i wud like to share... Once or twice i fiddled with the power supply connector to the MOBO . I mean the connector from the PSU to the motherboard which powers it up. After fiddling as i powered up the sytem the display did come up and the normal boot began. But the system crashed in the middle of the boot and restarted.

Another time it started and there was this screeching noise ...the display showed a CHECKSUM ERROR...i hit reset and then it booted up fine..only to show a blue screen again during the movie and went into a reboot.

Well then the reboot never went thru and i thought there was some problem with the board and got it replaced.

The situation hasnt improved yet. Today i'll check my RAM and my GFX adapter as well on a friends PC to see if its dead.

About the Onboard GFX support..yes its there and i dont think i need any jumper settings(ill check it out though). I was running the system on the ONboard GFX before i bought the card.

I think the PSU is running fine since the board LED keeps glowing all the time.

Thanx guys ... I really appreciate and hope to be able to pin point the problem very soon.

Yea theres something i wud like to share... Once or twice i fiddled with the power supply connector to the MOBO . I mean the connector from the PSU to the motherboard which powers it up. After fiddling as i powered up the sytem the display did come up and the normal boot began. But the system crashed in the middle of the boot and restarted.

Another time it started and there was this screeching noise ...the display showed a CHECKSUM ERROR...i hit reset and then it booted up fine..only to show a blue screen again during the movie and went into a reboot.

Well then the reboot never went thru and i thought there was some problem with the board and got it replaced.

The situation hasnt improved yet. Today i'll check my RAM and my GFX adapter as well on a friends PC to see if its dead.

About the Onboard GFX support..yes its there and i dont think i need any jumper settings(ill check it out though). I was running the system on the ONboard GFX before i bought the card.

you could check your RAM in the same system, given at least the on-board graphics works (should be activated as soon as there is no external graphics card plugged in). Get a copy of memtest and let it run. Your description of the problems sounds similar to a pc I have at work (and yet to call service for). That thing first crashed in the middle of use, then didn't boot windows (every time another defective file) and after that showed me a BIOS checksum error, only to boot up the next day I tried it.

--

http://www.memtest.org/

im sorry to report guys that my mobo has had it....i got it to a point were it would give me POST beeps...and according to the manual....a continues beep means system bored failure!!! :(

im sorry to report guys that my mobo has had it....i got it to a point were it would give me POST beeps...and according to the manual....a continues beep means system bored failure!!! :(

Well, at least you have a reason to buy a new, more expensive board. :thumbup

Well, at least you have a reason to buy a new, more expensive board. :thumbup

so i guess if i threw my comp out of the window right now, i would have an excuse for getting an extreme quad with 2x8800gtx's? :)

Hi!!

Heres the update...

1)Took out my gfx card and plugged it into a friend's PC (which please do note does not have Onboard graphics)... The card worked there. So the gfx card is fine...( Thank God!!)

2)Checked out my board manual and no jumper setting is required for the switch between Onboard/AGP adapter. Switched the screen cable to the onboard gfx port and the same empty black screen.

3)Still havent been able to check out my RAM.....but i did try booting up without the RAM stick in and the result was the same.

you could check your RAM in the same system, given at least the on-board graphics works (should be activated as soon as there is no external graphics card plugged in). Get a copy of memtest and let it run. Your description of the problems sounds similar to a pc I have at work (and yet to call service for). That thing first crashed in the middle of use, then didn't boot windows (every time another defective file) and after that showed me a BIOS checksum error, only to boot up the next day I tried it.

Sorry im not aware of this lil application and didnt take the pain to read thru the site that u've put in ur siggy...But can u tell me whether the application will work if the PC is not even going into BIOS ??

And one more query... Does anybody have an idea abt the sequence (if any ) in which the system doees a check of the various components (u know RAM, Processor etc) before it goes into booting up ??

And sorry abt the board 3aces...but yes its a chance to get urself a screamer of a board ..

Thanx

Edited by the_anomaly

Well, at least you have a reason to buy a new, more expensive board

yeah it is......more the reason to go core 2 duo...........but i am on a tight budget....being a student and everything i dont exactly have £1500 for a amazing setup lying around