Making install disks month after month for multiple machines

Vocalpoint

All,

Really enjoying nLite over here. One issue I am struggling with is how to properly (actually efficiently) build 3 unattended versions of my XP CD for three different machines every quarter or so.

I am wondering what you guys do - if say - you build your CD every month after patch Tuesday. Do you erase last months source folder and re-extract the contents of your XP CD to start fresh every month? Over here - I need to create my standard nLite installation but customize the "unattended" portion for each of the three machines - resulting in 3 separate iso's.

Tips? Thoughts?

Also - how I prevent nLite from writing the "last session.ini" files to my source directories? I know it's totally minor but I don't want them on the burned discs if possible.

Cheers!

there's a setting in OPTIONS to 'place copy of last session on iso' and you can disable it

it's worded something like that..

best way for you would be to have a directory..

C:\XPCD (with untouched xp + sp2 integrated files in here)

C:\XPCD\pc1

C:\XPCD\pc2

C:\XPCD\pc3

C:\XPCD\settings

C:\XPCD\addons (place all addons you use in here)

each month (if you feel the need to update each month) you copy the files from xpcd to the 3 folders

now load up nlite and do all changes, but don't type in the user/computer details when you've got one disc sorted for settings save the ini file, and call it basic.ini or similar and save it in the 'settings' folder, now load up nlite again, load basic.ini, enter machine specific settings and save the ini on as pc1.ini , then change them and save as pc2.ini, then again for pc3.ini

now all you have to do is delete the contents of the 3x pc folders

tbh tho, rebuilding each month may be a bit excessive, why not use windows update to install the updates, or a bat file after manually downloading the new hotfixes each tuesday..

you could also create a disk with your os stuff and the static programs you want, and use Autopatcher as the updater. By using a full release (like autopatcher november 2006) and embedding it on the main windows disk, you can then link to an update disk. the update disk can then hold the autopatcher update (like feb 2006). That way tou arent recreating the entire thing again, you only have to download the autopatcher update and burn it to another disk

(on you main disk, instead of staticlly linking to the exe for an update you could link to a cmd file on the other disk called updates. then you just call the cmd file, which you update when you are creating the latest update disk).

It would be a 2 cd install, but also gives the flexibility of not having to nlite your disk every month. you create an nlite install your happy with, without post-sp2 updates, then use autopatcher as your post-sp2 updater.

this way the only disk that changes is the update disk, which can be linked form the 3 windows disks for the different machines. this also allows that the windows disk only installs the programs that are unique to the pc you use it for and have the second disk install all the common software so you now have 4 cds, but only the update disk changes regularly (which also allows you to update the software on the disk)

Edited by phkninja

there's a setting in OPTIONS to 'place copy of last session on iso' and you can disable it

Any ideas where the "Options" are...I have walked thru this wizard from end to end -can't see any options at all.

you could also create a disk with your os stuff and the static programs you want, and use Autopatcher as the updater. /quote]

Huge fan of Autopatcher but it takes way too long and leaves too much stuff behind...I use it for minor add-ons...MS.Net 2.0 and 3.0...and a few other things...but that is just a short part of my actual install. And I only ever want one install disc.

Cheers!

VP