89 members have voted

1. 1. which browser u think is best

• IE 7
    • Firefox
    • Opera
    • Avant
    • IE 6
    • Other

Opera. Mostly because I've been using it since my Windows 3.1 days. I find that its very stable and has an overall polished, professional feel to it. It's also quite small- only 4 MB but packs in plenty of features!

It's also proven to be the fastest and the most secure graphical web browser.

But I regularly use Firefox and IE too. Firefox because a few sites don't work in Opera, and a few extensions I find very useful, and IE because I use it as a honeypot!

Opera sucks if you're looking to get infected. Seriously. I mean, wtf, even the animated cursor bug didn't affect Opera, while Fx and IE were!

If you're looking for malware, avoid Opera. Period.

Dude....what?

You started off saying Opera was very professional, and then finished off by calling it crap :P

The reason I prefer IE is because the fact that its fast. In my experience, it has always been fast and uses the least amount of ram out of the 3 browsers I have used. Opera would use 60mb on my computer, Firefox could go from about 50mb - 75mb, depending on how it felt, and IE would use around 20mb or so.

That's my personal opinion, so don't try to change my opinion.

The reason I prefer IE is because the fact that its fast. In my experience, it has always been fast and uses the least amount of ram out of the 3 browsers I have used. Opera would use 60mb on my computer, Firefox could go from about 50mb - 75mb, depending on how it felt, and IE would use around 20mb or so.

http://news.softpedia.com/newsImage/IE7-vs...pera-9-20-4.png

20mb my a**

Look how many god **** tabs you have open. I'm talking 1 tab open. I don't use tabs because I don't like the idea of them. I prefer buttons in my taskbar. Besides, who in the hell browses that many god **** pages at once? Eh?

Heres some proof of what I mean.

untitlednw9.th.jpg

Edited by prx984

Opera. Mostly because I've been using it since my Windows 3.1 days. I find that its very stable and has an overall polished, professional feel to it. It's also quite small- only 4 MB but packs in plenty of features!

But I regularly use Firefox and IE too. Firefox because a few sites don't work in Opera, and a few extensions I find very useful, and IE because I use it as a honeypot!

Opera sucks if you're looking to get infected. Seriously. I mean, wtf, even the animated cursor bug didn't affect Opera, while Fx and IE were!

Dude....what?

You started off saying Opera was very professional, and then finished off by calling it crap :P

He says it sucks if you want malware. Most people don't... therefore, it's good for most people.

Look how many god **** tabs you have open. I'm talking 1 tab open. I don't use tabs because I don't like the idea of them. I prefer buttons in my taskbar. Besides, who in the hell browses that many god **** pages at once? Eh?

Heres some proof of what I mean.

untitlednw9.th.jpg

What's wrong with tabs? They keep the taskbar cleaner. Personally, I like to be able to read what the name of each open window is, not just see a little icon. Tabs make it easier to group, for example, work in one window with tabs, MSFN and other non-work in a window in tabs and email, etc. in a third window with tabs. So I have three buttons on the taskbar and two to five in each window. Much easier than 8 buttons on the taskbar. And if I'm not using the RAM elsewhere, why not let FF have it?

Dude....what?

Read my last line again, carefully :P

Btw, you can change the amount of ram Oprea uses :whistle:

22?!?! Now that is a bit much in my opinion. What 22 sites do you have open at once!? No wonder it's using a lot of RAM. But if you have RAM to spare, no reason not to use it...

22 is quite normal, imho. Sometimes I have upto 80 tabs open in 4-5 windows :)

Window 1 has all forum related tabs, window 2 related to viruses, exploits and security, window 3 email and news sites (slashdot, digg etc), and window 4 has programming and technical related (msdn, technet, etc) :)

22?!?! Now that is a bit much in my opinion. What 22 sites do you have open at once!? No wonder it's using a lot of RAM. But if you have RAM to spare, no reason not to use it...

22 is quite normal, imho. Sometimes I have upto 80 tabs open in 4-5 windows :)

Window 1 has all forum related tabs, window 2 related to viruses, exploits and security, window 3 email and news sites (slashdot, digg etc), and window 4 has programming and technical related (msdn, technet, etc) :)

That's insane, your nuts :P

I don't go to more than 1 page at a time, so I don't need the tabs at all.

Just my .02 worth. The best browser is one you feel comfortable with and does what is needed with little fuss. All of them do the same thing surf the net. My advise is try some out and pick the one you like.

this is correct for an opinion based answer, but there has to be a "best" out there. but you are correct that people should use what they like.

I guess that proves that we all have different tastes...

ripken and dexter, how much RAM do you have? What percentage does opera use? It would be interesting to calculate RPT, or RAM-Per-Tab. :lol:

i only have 20 tabs open now, ~100mb of ram. lol

i have a total of 2 gigs of ram so i have plenty to spare.

some of my tabs are coding related, some are newegg, some are math, some are wiki, some are inquirer, some are youtube. it all builds up. its better making my bookmarks longer IMO.

Edited by ripken204

this is correct for an opinion based answer, but there has to be a "best" out there. but you are correct that people should use what they like.

This is what people don't seem to understand about the word "best". Best is a subjective term. Best comes down to several factors, the main one of which is preference. You can't say that there is one best for all, other wise it goes back to the old saying, "You can have any color you want, as long as it's black".

(If you don't know the origin of that saying, look it up)

well my point is that there can only be 1 best. isnt that what the word means...

if you have 3 ppl claiming 3 different browsers the best.. then we have a problem. to them it is the best but in reality there is only 1 best.

and we cant really figure out what the best is since everyone is basing it on their own opinions and not always facts.

we should find out which has the best ram usage, security, speed, ease of use, customizability, etc.

well my point is that there can only be 1 best. isnt that what the word means...

if you have 3 ppl claiming 3 different browsers the best.. then we have a problem. to them it is the best but in reality there is only 1 best.

and we cant really figure out what the best is since everyone is basing it on their own opinions and not always facts.

we should find out which has the best ram usage, security, speed, ease of use, customizability, etc.

That's exactly my point - there is no "one best".

Just taking your list of conditions, the "ease of use" is very subjective, and simply can't be put on a scale of one to ten like RAM security can. I find Opera very easy to use, but my girlfriend hates it. The simple fact of the matter is that she and I disagree on what is the "best browser", just like many people in this poll.

Also - if I were to ask the simple question, what's the best OS, you'd have absolutely no way of properly answering that, since it really depends on what you want to do. If you're looking to host PHP and MySQL pages, you can do it on Windows, but it's much better to do that on *nix. On the other hand, some applications are only available for Windows. What if you're forced to use them?

The long story short is that the term "best" can't always be put on a scale. Sure, an F1 car might be one of the best racing cars, but would I consider using it for day to day use? Heck no...