Transferring user folders from "Documents and Settings" to a

mo0nykit

Hi!

I just would like to ask.

Is there a way to transfer user folders from "Documents and Settings" to a different location? Like, I want all user-related data (application settings, documents, etc.) to be transferred to a different location.

I already know about changing the My Documents path, but it only works for My Documents, right? What I want is to change the path for all user-related data.

I have WinXP installed on one partition, and I want my user data to be on another partition.

Thanks for your help!

i know that nlite could before installation do it

u able to choose where to place windows and docuemts and settings and even program files

i did to win, doc, pro

if u wanna the ini file pm me

Short answer, yes--it is possible.

Long answer, I wouldn't even bother trying.

I had attempted to do this once before, and it basically involves changing a number of registry (and maybe GP) settings, which off the top of my head I don't recall, but a google search may help. There were two problems though: 1. The process I used didn't actually move the existing profiles, it just changed the location of where new profiles would be created--existing ones had to be moved manually. 2. Certain programs which had already been install prior to this procedure (esspecially MS Office) stopped working correctly because the apps were looking for files in directories that no longer existed, and re-mapping everything was tedious at best and in some cases I couldn't get it to work at all.

That was my experience anyway, there may be a better way that actually works, or maybe I missed something. I didn't really spend too much time with it once I realized so much stuff was screwed up and just reloaded XP with the path I wanted already setup. (Using NLite as was already pointed out).