Is it possible in Safe Mode

neo

:hello: Hello friends

Once again I m back in Windows 98 section, I want know; Is it possible to execute Autoexe.bat during the safe mode booting.

In the safe mode booting Windows leaves autoexec.bat and config.sys and process only and only necessary services and processes.

Please Help me !

I think U have not understand my question. Windows leaves these files (not executing) in SafeMode booting. I want to execute these in Booting (SafeMode) time without User interaction. Otherwise any help to edit the Selection menu that is appeared when F8 key is pressed.

I don't believe you will be able to edit the boot menu contents but with the BootMenuDefault option outlined in the KB article below, you might boot the machine in a way that gets you where you wanted to go? More info on exactly what you want to do, when, and why, of course will allow us to help more.

Contents of the Windows Msdos.sys File

Only way I can see to run custom config.sys and autoexec.bat files as you seem to want is to control current system methods and replace those files just prior to a forced reboot. Quite a bit of info at http://users.iafrica.com/c/cq/cquirke/startup.htm

Safe Mode is such a specialized booting mode I wouldn't attempt to alter it, I'd try for another that I could 'take over' for my own purposes. I'm thinking specifically of 'reboot to MSDOS mode'.

kristobal's right, but since I use Win98 I can explain it better:

If, when booting, you don't have the startup menu appearing you'll need to either enable it or hold down the Ctrl key at the right time (too soon and BIOS will b***h about a stuck key, too late and you'll miss it).

To enable it, open a DOS prompt, switch to C:\ and run the following commands:

attrib -r msdos.sys

notepad msdos.sys

It uses a standard ini format. Under [Options], find and edit the line:

BootMenu=1

If it's not there, add it. You can also add:

BootDelay=2

BootMenuDelay=2

to shorten the wait so it's not annoying if you leave it enabled. Seems that one line works some places and the other in other places, but having both won't hurt.

Save. Close.

You can also use TweakUI to enable this much more easily.

Reboot.

Whichever way you do it, choose "Command Prompt Only". When it gets to the prompt, type:

win /d:m

Optionally, before you start Windows, you can launch SmartDrv which will help with disk-intensive tasks.

U all have given gr8 stuff to edit system files of Win98.

U haven't understand my actual question.

I want to disable F8 to display advance Boot option

OR

Is there way to execute autoexec.bat file during the booting process in safemode. becoz safe mode skips config.sys and autoexec.bat file in safemode.

OR

Is there way to execute autoexec.bat file during the booting process in safemode. becoz safe mode skips config.sys and autoexec.bat file in safemode.

Then it wouldn't be SAFE MODE anymore, then would it?

You're wanting to DO IT but NOT DO IT at the same time.

GET REAL!

B)

OR

If you want to execute autoexec.bat and config.sys during a safe-mode boot without showing the menu, then you can't.

You can, however, execute a normal boot that forces windows into safe mode. While the end result would be the same, this method would cause it to always go into safe mode (whether it needs it or not) which is, IMO, stupid:

Add a line at the end of autoexec.bat which reads simply "win /d:m".

Then it wouldn't be SAFE MODE anymore, then would it?

There's a HUGE world of difference between running Windows normally and running it in safe-mode and using an in-between option such as executing the DOS boot files but running Windows itself in safe mode.

:hello: Hello friends

Once again I m back in Windows 98 section, I want know; Is it possible to execute Autoexe.bat during the safe mode booting.

In the safe mode booting Windows leaves autoexec.bat and config.sys and process only and only necessary services and processes.

Please Help me !

What are your intentions?

Care of wiki

An agent's intention in performing an action is their specific purpose in doing so, the end or goal they aim at, or intend to accomplish. ..

inspired to do what?