Recommendation of Hardware

chauwa

Hi there

I need to built a new gaming computer but I’m not sure motherboard, power supply and ram (2gb or more). Please let me know

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Dual Core

Creative sound card X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro Series

XFX PCIe 8800GTX 768MB DVI/DVI/TV GRAPHICS

CARD

Seagate SATA 500GB

Regards

Chavi

first of all, why amd? go for an intel e6600.

for video card, you dont need a gtx unless your running at a crazy resolution, so just get an 8800gts.

for psu, ive been liking the corasir ones lately.

where are you ordering these parts from? website?

This isn't really General Discussion. We have a forum specifically for Hardware Discussion. Please try to post in the correct section next time.

Welcome to MSFN. :hello:

Topic Moved

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys ! Most of my friends said Intel doesn’t perform well and expensive. Amd cheaper and perform well with graphics ect anyway what your guys think about that?

For the ram OCZ EL DDR2 PC2-8800 / 1100MHz / Gold Edition / Dual Channel

Thermaltake Toughpower 700W Power Supply

Thanks guys ! Most of my friends said Intel doesn’t perform well and expensive. Amd cheaper and perform well with graphics ect anyway what your guys think about that?

I would never buy an AMD. Considering Intel owns 85% of the market share, and that AMD is facing financial difficulties, and there isn't a single AMD processor faster then the Intel Core 2 lineup, and in a performance for dollars comparison Intel is much cheaper, and Intels run cooler and use less power, there's simply no valid reason to buy an AMD right now.

I would never buy an AMD. Considering Intel owns 85% of the market share, and that AMD is facing financial difficulties, and there isn't a single AMD processor faster then the Intel Core 2 lineup, and in a performance for dollars comparison Intel is much cheaper, and Intels run cooler and use less power, there's simply no valid reason to buy an AMD right now.

Correction - Intel processors typically use less power at full load. At idle, AMD still wins for most matched setups. There are a number of articles on SPCR that relate to this (since they care about low power and all that).

Correction - Intel processors typically use less power at full load. At idle, AMD still wins for most matched setups. There are a number of articles on SPCR that relate to this (since they care about low power and all that).

Okay, but why would you build a computer to leave it at idle all the time? The power consumption is most important during it's heavy usage, is it not?

Okay, but why would you build a computer to leave it at idle all the time? The power consumption is most important during it's heavy usage, is it not?

Why would this be an issue? To determine the size of the power supply required? Most people vastly over-spec this (500W PSs for most people not building 8-drive megaservers is comical...) but aside from that, the vast majority of the time people will have CPUs running at near-idle, and so temperature (if not power) used at this setting is at least somewhat interesting if the power bits interest you (or you live in a country where electricity costs a lot).

because most of the time it is idle, is it not? how often is your computer at full load? the only time i ever stress my computer is when playing games, which i havnt done in about 2 weeks. i have been idle since.

because most of the time it is idle, is it not? how often is your computer at full load? the only time i ever stress my computer is when playing games, which i havnt done in about 2 weeks. i have been idle since.

Unless you do absolutely nothing with your computer, and I mean literally nothing, no services, no background applications, nothing... then you're never going to be fully idle. Everytime you do anything, you're not idle. Add background services and processes and you'll always have something to do.

It also depends on how you use your computer. I run a lot of large processor intensive applications on a regular basis. Not to mention that I spend a lot of time encoding every day. Whenever my computer would be idle, it's off.

how do they measure idle then? you just said idle means that its off, but i dont think that the cpu is using power when its off...

idle to mean means exactly what you said it wasnt, just processes going and a few apps going. if my cpu is going under 5% cpu usage, then to me that means idle. so how exactly do you measure idle?