Low Scores Bench With Server 2k3?

allanon

Hy all!

tonight i run 3dmark03 on my comp with server 2k3, all the section related to cpu reports very low scores, why?

anyone have try something similar?

my video card is a radeon 9700 pro, drivers are catalyst 3.8, and have same scores as in Xp.

the cpu is an amd 2400+

mobo is asus an A7N8X dlx

512Mb corsair xml

ata 133 hd

maybe you forgot to change the Processor Scheduling to Programs instead of Background services

Right click My Computer then properties, click on the advanced tab then, on Performance click settings then on the advanced tab

My server 2003 to workstation compu is a lot better that XP, during online UT gaming I get more consistent frame rates than on XP. Will stick with it for now.

Im also using a Dell 400sc with P4 2.4 HT, and Ti 4200. no problems so far.

• 2 weeks later...
Win2k3 is NOT a desktop gamer OS. NOT NOT NOT.

Besides that you may not have full vid card acceleration in Dxdiag.

Do youself a favor and load Win2k sp4 or Xp pro. You will be more satisfied with your gaming results.

:)

|Drew|

sorry to say that is a total BULL SH*T answer. all of my games run quite well under Win 2K3 with performance that is just as good if not BETTER than Win 2K

• 3 weeks later...

I have noticed the same thing regarding performance in 2003 Serv (eval). I do not see a performance hit with the CPU, but rather with the graphics card. allanon, you have the same motherboard, and a similar graphics card. There may be significance to that.

Just now I benchmarked with Aquamark3. See the following scores:

Win2003 Graphics: 2,466 points

Win2003 CPU: 6,036 points

WinXP Pro Graphics: 4,692 points

WinXP Pro CPU: 6,123 points

I am running an overclocked AthlonXP 1700+ at 2.0Ghz, with a Radeon 9500 Pro overclocked to 355/303, on an Asus A7N8X Dlx (nForce2) motherboard.

Yes, I have enabled/installed DirectX 9.0b

Yes, I have enabled DirectDraw/Direct3d/AGP Texture Acceleration

Yes, I have installed the latest Chipset drivers (nForce v3.13)

Yes, I have installed the latest vid drivers (Catalyst 3.9, Omega)

Yes, I have turned video acceleration to maximum

Yes, I have changed Processor scheduling/Memory usage to "Programs"

Even with the specs I have, I can play all games fine without noticable difference from XP Pro. However, down the road, unless I find a 'fix' to improve performance, I will revert to WinXP again.

I realize Win2003 Serv wasn't intended for 'gaming' but the desire to find the right combination of settings or tweaks lives on. In reality, WinXP and Win2003 Serv aren't fundamentally different. They were built on the same code base, and with enough tweaking should be able to mimic the other.

We'll see. If anyone finds a solution, add to this thread.

- rp

(Edit: updated benchmarks, as my original post was skewed)

Something of interest to note...

I had an older A7V333 motherboard (via chipset) and replaced my current (newer A7N8X Dlx, nForce2 chipset) with it. My scores jumped up to WinXP scores!

The problem appears to be:

(1) The motherboard itself [A7n8x]

or

(2) The chipset drivers

I vaguely recall benching 3dmark'03 with the older WHQL nForce drivers (2.41 or similar) and got horrible CPU scores. As you can see in my first posting, my CPU scores now nearly match my XP scores, possibly related to the installation of the v3.13 chipset drivers from nVidia.

food for thought!

- rp