Windows98SE and Hibernate

myelin

Hello, Windows 98 has Hibernate feature but it does not work for me(There is no option for it). I have Dell GX 110.

I searched and found that what i am looking for is S4 Hibernate which saves everything to hard disk and completely shuts down.

On Dell website it is written that Hibernate in Windows98SE is analogous to Sleep, it works, but the power LED light keeps blinking and the computer is not completely shut down.

Can anybody advice me how to get S4 hibernate in Windows98SE. Thanks.

Hello, Windows 98 has Hibernate feature but it does not work for me(There is no option for it). I have Dell GX 110.

Are you sure you are not confusing hibernate (Windows XP) with stand by (Windows 98)?

I searched and found that what i am looking for is S4 Hibernate which saves everything to hard disk and completely shuts down.

On Dell website it is written that Hibernate in Windows98SE is analogous to Sleep, it works, but the power LED light keeps blinking and the computer is not completely shut down.

Yeah, because Windows 98 offers standby not hibernate. It will shutdown the monitor and hard drive, but everything else is still running.

Windows 98 also had a habit of going into stand by and never coming out of it. I guess you could call ita coma. :) You would need to flip the master power switch (Or plug in and out the power cord from the wall outlet) to get it back running again.

Edited by Atmosphere XG

Are you sure you are not confusing hibernate (Windows XP) with stand by (Windows 98)?

No. Accroding to a wikipedia article Windows98SE has hibernate support. And also as described in this knowledgebase article by Microsoft.

Windows 98 also had a habit of going into stand by and never coming out of it. I guess you could call ita coma. :) You would need to flip the master power switch (Or plug in and out the power cord from the wall outlet) to get it back running again.

You are absolutely right. Therefore i never use suspend.

Have you tried the sleep button on your keyboard. When i use it only power LED light blinks and everything else switches off. There is this post i have read about hibernate on Windows98SE, according to which only Laptops/Notebooks with ACPI have hibernate in Windows98SE. Can anybody please confirm it. Thanks.

IMO: When the computer is supporting ACPI then why is there no hibernate?

i have read about hibernate on Windows98SE, according to which only Laptops/Notebooks with ACPI have hibernate in Windows98SE. Can anybody please confirm it. Thanks.
I confirm my Compaq portable (166MHz) had hibernate function under Win95. The idea was to spare the battery. I'm not sure the option was available "when plugged on main". But I don't think this was a Compaq added feature (it was Windows).

I have a desktop, but i guess the arguments of erpdude8 that even MDGX's 98SE2ME does not add hibernate to desktop windows98se systems apply here as well. Anyway thanks for the replies.

Windows 98 also had a habit of going into stand by and never coming out of it.

That's a known issue with some motherboards. I saw that issue occur only when my Chaintech CT-7AJA2E motherboard had all of the 3 SDRAM slots used.

I only saw that issue on that motherboard when I changed the SDRAM configuration from 2 128 MB to 3 128 MB, from 256 MB to 384 MB.

I have a desktop, but i guess the arguments of erpdude8 that even MDGX's 98SE2ME does not add hibernate to desktop windows98se systems apply here as well. Anyway thanks for the replies.

Before you give up and quit the issue, please remember that there are a couple of places to change your power settings first. The Control Panel settings, and the BIOS settings, after which one should remove all and ANY power control devices from the Device Mangler and reboot to allow Windows to detect the new settings and reinstall these devices with the appropriate drivers which then MAY give you the desired shutdown option choice. Stranger things have actually been known to happen once officially approved methods for dealing with Device Mangler issues are employed.

I was also curious all the time why "Hibernate" is not working in Windows 98.

The option was nearly everytime available when I installed Windows ME,and this on the same PC where I had my Win98 on.

my old win95 acer laptop had hibernate option too, but it wasn't a feature of windows itself (some 3rd party software), and no, im not mistaking it with standby - ram content and screen content were dumped to a single file some-name.BIN and read of off upon restart same as win2k/xp do.

Also IBM PCs had hibernation long before windows 9x came out (I got some old Aptiva with OS/2 and Win 3.1 and my jaw dropped when i found that old junk was able to hibernate). It created a separate hidden partition on hdd in the size of ram + video ram and dumped the data there.

So Im sure you can hibernate 98 too, just have to find a way ;)

i'm usin a desktop and win98se doesn't have a hibernate feature it mite be some 3rd party software providing it for laptops

It doesn't have to be a laptop;

in short - hibernation is a process of dumping current content of volatile memory (RAM) to harddisk (edit: or any other means of data storage without power) before shutting down computer, and restoring this content to RAM upon reboot. Any computer can do that, but the problem is with OS - it must be pointed to the harddisk-stored RAM content at startup, and thats where 3rd-party software comes handy for deficiencies of old Windows OSes.

Edited by no1none

no1none: Thanks for the suggestions but i guess my computer does not support Hibernate under Windows98SE. Its an old Dell, it does not even show the Bios settings properly.

I have a GQ 3151 box I got at Frys last fall... It has a partial moon-shaped button on the keyboard that I hit by accident once. The machine flipped off, and the led on the monitor went blinking as in power-save mode. I figured I had broken something. Not. Pushed the power button and it came back to life immediately w/o all the foofaraw that normally occurs on boot.

It was either suspended or hibernating... disk drive off. Mobo off. Caps-lock led on keyboard lit.

I am not going to differentiate between hibernate and suspend, but this was surely a convenient way to get the machine shut down in a hurry, and powered up equally as quickly.

tom

if theres still a caps lock light on then it cant be hibernate because hibernate everything turns off including the power supply when you use standby/suspend the power supply wont be turned off