Shrink PE2.0?

fly

Is it possible to shrink PE2.0 at all? I'm having issues with my current BartPE build and some new Dell drivers so I figured that I'd check out the new PE. My current BartPE build is 90mb and PE is 160. Sheesh. Anyway to shrink that down some?

What are your concerns with the size of the image really?

What OS did you use with BartPE? XP/2003?

Vista is a monster, so I assume that explains the larger image size with PE2.0.

PXE boot speed is my concern. And iirc, XP was used for my BartPE build...

If you compress the WinPE2 image durring creation, you can get that down around 120mb, without removing anything.

EDIT:

Here is a list of the commands I was talking about to compress the PE Image:

copype.cmd x86 C:\winpe_2x86
imagex.exe /mountrw C:\winpe_2x86\winpe.wim 1 C:\winpe_2x86\mount
xcopy "C:\winpe_2x86\mount\Windows\System32\Boot\*.*" C:\winpe_2x86\mount\Windows\System32\*.* /e /y
peimg.exe /install=WinPE-HTA-Package C:\winpe_2x86\Mount\Windows
peimg.exe /install=WinPE-WMI-Package C:\winpe_2x86\Mount\Windows
peimg.exe /install=WinPE-Scripting-Package C:\winpe_2x86\Mount\Windows
peimg.exe /install=WinPE-XML-Package C:\winpe_2x86\Mount\Windows
peimg.exe /install=WinPE-MDAC-Package C:\winpe_2x86\Mount\Windows

peimg.exe /inf:%DRIVERINF% C:\winpe_2x86\Mount\Windows

peimg.exe /prep /f C:\winpe_2x86\Mount\Windows
delete C:\winpe_2x86\ISO\sources\boot.wim
imagex.exe /boot /compress maximum /capture C:\winpe_2x86\Mount C:\winpe_2x86\ISO\sources\boot.wim "WinPE2"
imagex.exe /unmount C:\winpe_2x86\mount

Edited by Jazkal

From my reading in the WINPE.CHM

peimg /prep

This operation removes any non-installed packages from the final image. This operation reduces the overall image size

You can also see what is/isn't going to be installed by using

peimg /list pe-folder\mount\Windows

Boot discs can and should be reduced if needed.

You can build a PE based on XP / 2003 sized from 14Mb up to an ISO with explorer as shell using as low as 31Mb.

These are boot disks completely stripped from unneeded features.

WinPE 2.0 can also be reduced removing the unneeded components that come by default, if needed it will boot sized under 50Mb.

Look here:

http://vistape.boot-land.net

Where you can find more details on how to tweak WinPE 2.0 from WAIK and Vista DVD's - this is valid not just for removing but also for adding extra programs and customizing things to work as you expect.

If you're still looking for manual ways to decrease even more the size of your WinPE 2.0 could you please be more specific on how you plan to use this boot disk?

:)

Edited by Nuno Brito

Boot discs can and should be reduced if needed.

You can build a PE based on XP / 2003 sized from 14Mb up to an ISO with explorer as shell using as low as 31Mb.

These are boot disks completely stripped from unneeded features.

WinPE 2.0 can also be reduced removing the unneeded components that come by default, if needed it will boot sized under 50Mb.

Look here:

http://vistape.boot-land.net

Where you can find more details on how to tweak WinPE 2.0 from WAIK and Vista DVD's - this is valid not just for removing but also for adding extra programs and customizing things to work as you expect.

If you're still looking for manual ways to decrease even more the size of your WinPE 2.0 could you please be more specific on how you plan to use this boot disk?

:)

Holy crap, I didn't know that project was still around. You probably don't remember me, but good to see you sir.

Hi Fly!

It's been over a year since batcher on 911cd.net and we're all pretty much alive and still having fun with boot disk projects that grown quite a lot in usability.

I do remember you very well, thanks for all the help back on those days! :thumbup

Very nice improvement.

My tftp downloads are about 25% faster when shrunk using the JAZKAL instructions.

The download time is about 30 seconds now for the 115MB winpe20.wim image.

Thank you,

Fisher

Edited by keythom

• 8 months later...

Jazkal

peimg.exe /prep /f C:\winpe_2x86\Mount\Windows

While attempting to shrink my image some I used the PREP line in BOLD above and got the error:

PEIMG failed to complete the operation with status code 0x80004005.

Edited by GTOOOOOH

This topic is great just what i been looking for.

My problem is that i am adding my winpe.wim image to WDS so that i can load the image through PXE rather than using a CD-ROM. The problem i have is that WDS take all compression away when it add the .wim file.

For example my winpe.wim file created with maxium compression via imagex is 101mb when i add this to WDS is report back that it is 300 mb.

Anyone know how to tell WDS to keep the compression.

The problem this causes is that the winpe image will not run correctly on anyless than a PC with 512mb.

I am now looking into removing unwanted apps in the winpe.wim itself.