Sick of Nero

to be honest, i lvoe nero. it does what i need. what i DONT love is that #%@# INDEXING.

sorry. caps. i didnt mean to shout. but seriosuly. what were they THINKING. indexing that cant be disabled? the ultimate bloat.

does anyone have any suggestions for an alternative media suite that doesnt involve the phrase "roxio"???

please?

please?

please?

Edited by breadandbubbles

i believe it's still possible to buy nero 6, and as it doesnt have any of the annoying crap they put into nero 7, it might be worth your time...the only thing that nero 7 has that 6 doesnt (besides that scout program) is support for blu-ray and hd-dvd burning...

if you ask me, blank discs in either format are too expensive to even consider...and at 15gb (hd-dvd) and 25gb (blu-ray), it would be a waste of money for me...an external 320gb hard drive can be had for around a hundred bucks...

i tried nero 7 once, and decided i hated what they did to it after one day of using it...i went back to nero 6, and wont go back. :sneaky:

Edited by joll69

im TRULY ashamed of myself. i remember reading about how much nero 7 sucks and isnt worth the upgrade.

yet i didnt even THINK of going back. such a simple solution. i love it.

hmmmm....but are those the only differences though? i mean....besides aesthetically, of course. i dont care about aesthetics. but practically, are there any major differences in performance? recoding capablities? dvd authoring? that kind of thing?

i dont use all the nero apps, but i have used both express and burning rom, vision express, showtime, recode, and wave editor....of those, burning rom and express are nearly identical between 6 and 7 (not counting hd-dvd/blu-ray support, and obvious graphical changes)...

vision express in 7 can encode to hd-dvd and blu-ray (again, pretty useless), and the nero digital codec (nero's mpeg-4 video format) is slightly improved in 7, but nothing major...standard definition dvd support is identical...

showtime and recode only had hd-dvd and blu-ray support added in 7...

the wave editor in 7 doesnt support as many formats for opening and saving...they removed mp3 support for some reason, probly licensing...this may have changed with newer versions, but i doubt it...the 6 version of wave editor can open wave, aif, he-aac formats, mp3, wma, and ogg...if memory serves, 7 can only open and save to wav...

one change that's aesthetic in nature but is a plus in 6 is the progress % that's shown in the taskbar title of express and burning rom...they removed that in 7, not sure why, it's a nice thing to have to see how far along the disc burning is without switching to the window...

other than that, i'm not sure of any differences, as i dont use much else...

I use Nero Lite Micro and leave out the AudioCD, Express, Help and VideoCD support so all I have is what's needed to burn other stuff. Works flawlessly everytime and I've burned 100s of DVDs.

I initially used Nero Lite Micro but since nero incd has been stripped from it, i have no other chooice but to go for bulky and bloated nero setup..dont u think nero incd must be included in nero lite cos it's got to do with cd/dvd burning program..i just dont understand why the creator of nero lite uncluded Nero wav editor in it when it doesnt serve any purpose for burning cd/dvd..doesnt make sense..

=(

dont u think nero incd must be included in nero lite cos it's got to do with cd/dvd burning program

I've never heard of "InCD" in Nero and as I stated before, I've burned hundreds of DVDs with Nero Lite/Micro (6/7) and they are all flawless.

inCD is nero's packet burning software...u format a disc, then copy-paste stuff on to it like you would a floppy or usb flash disk...

IMO, inCD and all other packet writing softwares like it are a waste of time, primarily because there are compatibility issues when you try to read such a disc on a computer that either doesnt have inCD installed, or has some other packet writing software installed...that, and if i'm gonna quickly make a copy of something, it's much easier to just use a usb flash disk.

I tried Infra Recorder but it wanted to make an image of anything I tried to burn to a temp file first before actually burning it. Plus it wouldn't let me drag folders from the tree-view so I went back to Nero.

• 2 weeks later...