Data execution prevention

HawkAgent

Hi

I've always played some avi file called movie.avi without problems. But recently Data Execution Prevention starts closing eplorer.exe whenever I open the folder which contains that avi. I tried adding Windows Explorer under "Turn on DEP except for those I select", but the problem still occurs. How can I solve this? Also is it true that SFC=DEP, meaning that if I disable SFC, DEP is also disabled?

Edited by HawkAgent

"I tried adding Windows Explorer under "Turn on DEP except for those I select", but the problem still occurs."

this was done under

""My Computer" ---> Properties ---> Advanced ---> Settings (under Performance) ---> Data Execution Prevention"

:)

Windows doesn't let you turn off completely, only exceptions are possible.

I read this article:

http://www.zensoftware.co.uk/kb/article.aspx?id=10002

Disable Data Execution Prevention (DEP) completely

Click Start, and then click Control Panel.

Under Pick a category, click Performance and Maintenance.

Under or Pick a Control Panel icon, click System.

Click the Advanced tab, and in the Startup and Recovery area, click Settings.

In the SystemStartup area, click Edit.

In Notepad, click Edit and then click Find.

In the Find what field, type /noexecute and then click Find Next.

In the Find dialog box click Cancel.

Replace the policy_level (for example, "OptIn" default) with "AlwaysOff" (without the quotes).

WARNING: Be sure to enter the text carefully. Your boot.ini file switch should now read:

/noexecute=AlwaysOff

In Notepad, click File and then click Save.

Click OK to close Startup and Recovery.

Click OK to close System Properties and then restart your computer.

I followed the steps. Now no message of DEP comes up, explorer immediately crashes when I explore to the folder...

So disabling DEP doesn't work. :S Anyone suggestions?

Redownload movie.avi as it's proabably corrupted? Or you can run a program called fixavi and see if there's any issue with that avi file. Keep in mind that if you run that program you should back up the original as it may delete the corrupted data.

movie.avi was just an example, I got other avi files which somehow make DEP crashing explorer.exe. I'll look for "fixavi" just to make sure then.

I tried browsing with "nero showtime", nero's media player, and opened the avi, ran without problems. I don't know why explorer crashes when I only browse to the folder containing the avi. Media player classic crashes too when I open the avi with this program. I'm using video converter program called WinxMedia, when I try to open the avi with this program, it crashes as well...

edit:

I tried fixing the avi with videofixer (http://www.fixvideo.com/download.html), same problems occur...

Edited by HawkAgent

This issue is ancient. The resolution is the following:

Click Start > Run, type in REGEDIT and click OK.

Navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE >SOFTWARE >Classes > CLSID > {87D62D94-71B3-4b9a-9489-5FE6850DC73E}> InProcServer32

Right click the InProcServer32 key and choose Delete. Reboot.

Or:

Start > Run > regsvr32 /u shimgvw.dll

This unregisters the DLL responsible for providing some of the column details and the thumbnail view of the AVI files.

Navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE >SOFTWARE >Classes > CLSID > {87D62D94-71B3-4b9a-9489-5FE6850DC73E}> InProcServer32

Or:

This unregisters the DLL responsible for providing some of the column details and the thumbnail view of the AVI files.

Cool, so what does that actually do?

Doing that disables the shell extension "shmedia.dll" from loading, which is the media file property extractor explorer shell extension (the .dll responsible for determining who owns that file, and how to display things like thumbnails for the files). By killing that reg key, you disable the ability for this to run, and it'll keep the .avi files from crashing explorer.

Navigate to:

Or:

I removed the key, rebooted, nothing changed. Also unregistred shimgvw.dll, nothing changed either. Problem still occurs :wacko:

What cluberti says seems to be right, explorer crashes whenever it tries to make a thumbnail...

EDIT:

OK combining Jeremy's method and what cluberti said I did "regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll", and it stopped explorer.exe from crashing, however I still can't play the files with media player classic, can't edit the files with Winxmedia (some video converter mentioned before) either... :wacko:

Edited by HawkAgent

Try this:

1. Install the "Debugging Tools for Windows" from http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/debugging/installx86.mspx
2. Create the directory C:\websymbols
3. Create the "_NT_SYMBOL_PATH" System environment variable (not user!), and set it equal to:
SRV*c:\websymbols*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols

More information on the _NT_SYMBOL_PATH environment variable can be found at:
311503: Use the Microsoft Symbol Server to obtain debug symbol files
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311503/EN-US/

4. Create the directory C:\adplus
5. Open a command prompt and change to the directory where you installed the debugging tools. By default, this is "C:\Program Files\Debugging Tools for Windows"
6. Type the following command in the command prompt, then press ENTER:
gflags

7. Click the "image file" tab
8. Type the application executable name of the application that is crashing, then press the TAB key
9. Click the "Show loader snaps" box, then click OK
10. Open the application that is crashing
11. Type the following command in the command prompt, then press ENTER:
cscript adplus.vbs -crash -pn application.exe -o c:\adplus
- (change application.exe to the application executable name of the application that is crashing)

12. Do not interfere with the minimized cdb.exe window that is opened, let it run minimized - it is the debugger, and closing it would stop our debug session.

Now, try to crash the application - the next time it crashes, it should create at least one .dmp file in C:\adplus, as well as some logs - compress those, and we can tell you where to upload them for review. This should help us figure out why your application is crashing.

Opening it with Media Player classic: It says "Opening..." for less than 1 sec, then the famous crash window show up says: Media Player Classic encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. If you were in the middle of something, blabla bla " and you can choose of "Send Error Report" and "Don't send".

Opening it winxmedia: Crashes almost immediately with the same window showing up (it says WinX Media instead of Media Player Classic ofcourse).