Is really Windows XP Service Pack 3 for coming?

pppx00

And What About Windows XP Service Pack 3?

And while I'm ranting a bit, let's dredge up Windows XP Service Pack 3, which was delayed from 2005 to 2006 to 2007 and now to 2008. If you were looking for any glimpse into the mind of Microsoft, this is it: The company has completely abandoned Windows XP, and it has absolutely no plans to ever ship an XP SP3. My guess is that Microsoft will do what it did with the final Windows 2000 Service Pack: Claim years later that it's no longer needed and just ship a final security patch roll-up. This is the worst kiss-off to any Microsoft product I've ever seen, and you'd think the company would show a little more respect to its best-selling OS of all time. But the reality is, Microsoft is looking ahead to new revenue and not behind to money that's already in the bank. And though hundreds of millions of people will be running XP for years to come, despite Microsoft's best efforts at selling them a later Windows version, the company has absolutely no plans to actually support those customers. This flies in the face of its publicly-stated life cycle support plans. And it really freaks me out. It should freak you out as well.

http://forums.vr-zone.com/showthread.php?t=141983

Give me your thoughts about this, because if it's truth, I'm really p*** o**.

Nnnnooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why why why would they do this? I've been waiting for SP3 for a long time. How can they do this to me? I am NOT going to vista, so if they refuse to support windows xp, I'll say to h*** with them and start using linux.

Actually, all this panic may be unnecessary. On their life cycle page they say windows xp media center, which i use, will be supported until 2009. Surely there will be a service pack in the next two years? After that... well, I guess I may be using it for a bit longer than they support it.

:realmad: :angrym: :( :(

It's not confirmed. It's just what one author feels, it isn't confirmed news.

Windows XP still has many years to go. The product support is officially on till 2014. So whether or not Microsoft releases SP3 isn't of much concern, as long as product updates and hotfixes continue.

For those of you worrying about the long list of updates that have to be installed post-sp2, consider using integrating the latest RyanVM pack.

Personally, I'm pretty sure SP3 will be out, if not, there will atleast be a security rollup that'll include all the post-sp2 critical fixes.

If any of you are wondering about the XP SP3, well here's the proof of that. XP Home & Pro SP3 Slated Release Date. I myself have always, and will be a big user and fan of XP Pro, and I have no intention of ever switching to Vista any time soon, I've seen way to many problems with it, and 1st off, it's way to early in the development stage to switch, half the main PC Components developers haven't even caught up with Vista yet, and the ones that have are just now getting in their own development of Vista Compatible drivers, and patches to apply to current devices in systems. So if MS does ever decide to release SP3 for XP Home & Pro, all I can really say about it, is I hope it happens, because I'm not willing to get off XP anytime soon, and only hope MS has no intention of ending XP like it's done with everything else prior to XP.

Thanks

While update packs are great, to me they are not a substitute for a service pack.. Removing security catalog files is not the same as having one big sp3.cat file.. SP3 (or a roll-up) should exist just for this this reason.. Combine the catalog files already.

Edited by bilemke

They didn't "do this" yet. It's just what ONE author thinks. It's just his opinion/guess. Just last week Microsoft updated their roadmap page indicating that SP3 will come out in 1H 2008. If they really have no plans to release SP3, they would have removed it from the page.

Unless its official, there's no point trying to speculate on what will happen.

It really wouldn't suprise me. They did the same thing with Windows 98, then ME and then 2000. So why wouldn't they just drop their XP customers like cold bricks?

I guess WUD could still be useful up until 2014.

i too look forward to XP SP3 ... i too will not switch to Vista soon ... it'd be great to have SP3 rather have bunch of HFs ... fortunately we have great tools such as HFSLIP, nLite, Integrator to make things easier to slipstream ... :)

For all of you who are bickering... here's info straight from the horse's mouth:

Windows Service Pack Road Map

Don't worry - Service Pack 3 will arrive. Microsoft already has put in a lot of time into this, and it simply wouldn't be cost beneficial to drop it. With Windows 2000, the mention of SP5 was very soon after SP4 came out, and there wasn't too much more that Microsoft could have done with 2000 (aside from implementing features already available in XP).