Can't find shortcut.exe

This link is the only download link I can find and its not working.

http://www.optimumx.com/download/

Is this tool archived anywhere on the forum? Can someone upload it possibly?

If its the same thing as shortcut.exe for windows 95 don't bother as i have that one. Not sure if the windows 95 version is all thats available or not but I couldn't get it to work right. Could be its incompatible or my sytax was wrong but i hate putting too much time into a tool thats not the right one.

I want to use on a XPsp2 unattended run from a batch at GuiRunOnce for creating desktop shortcuts to notepad, regedt32, WMP, etc...

Anyone familiar with this tool or know where I can find it?

Also, could you post a brief example of the syntax you used in your batch to create a shortcut?

I do not know about the app you are using but this can be done threw a VBS script.

This script will place 3 shortcuts on your desktop.

Save as Shortcuts.vbs

Dim Act, ArrLnk, ShortCut, StrL, StrLnk, Var1, Var2,  Wmp
Set Act = CreateObject("Wscript.Shell")
StrLnk = Act.SpecialFolders.Item("Desktop")
'/-> Path To Wmp
Wmp = Act.ExpandEnvironmentStrings("%ProgramFiles%\Windows Media Player\")
ArrLnk = Array("notepad.exe","regedt32.exe",Wmp & "wmplayer.exe")
For Each StrL In ArrLnk
'/-> Replace The EXE in The Name To LNK
Var1 =Replace(StrL,"exe","lnk")
'/-> Remove The Path To Wmp To Create The Link To It
If InStr(StrL,Wmp) Then
Var2 = Replace(StrL,Wmp,"")
'/-> Replace The EXE in The Name To LNK After The Path Been Removed
Var1 =Replace(Var2,"exe","lnk")
End If
'/-> Place The Shortcut On The Current User Desktop
Set ShortCut = Act.CreateShortcut(StrLnk & "\" & Var1)
ShortCut.TargetPath = StrL
ShortCut.Save
Next

Edited by gunsmokingman

Thanks, I like that nircmd, I think that'll do the trick. Do I just put nircmd.exe in the $$ folder or would you put it in $$\system32 folder? I put my WPA.DBL file in $$\system32 folder but it doesn't work. I still have to call MS to activate since I've activated too many times.

I appreciate the script too but I would need to understand how it works and that would take more effort than i'm willing to put into this unattended deal at the moment.

This is how I use optimumX shortcut.exe:

shortcut.exe /F:"%USERPROFILE%\SendTo\Notepad.lnk" /A:C /T:"%windir%\Notepad.exe" 
shortcut.exe /F:"%USERPROFILE%\SendTo\Metapad.lnk" /A:C /T:"%windir%\Metapad.exe"
shortcut.exe /F:"%USERPROFILE%\SendTo\Frhed.lnk" /A:C /T:"%windir%\Frhed.exe"
shortcut.exe /F:"%USERPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\cmd.lnk" /A:C /T:"%SystemRoot%\system32\cmd.exe"
shortcut.exe /F:"%USERPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\explorer.lnk" /A:C /T:"%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe" /I:"%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe,1"
shortcut.exe /F:"%USERPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\bginfo.lnk" /A:C /T:"%SystemRoot%\bginfo.cmd" /I:"%SystemRoot%\bginfo.exe" /R:7

Apparently copying wpa.* doesn't work any more, but if your system is royalty oem you can preactivate

Do I just put nircmd.exe in the $$ folder or would you put it in $$\system32 folder?

Generally, it does not matter, as both folders (i.e. %systemroot% and %systemroot%\system32) are in the PATH by default.