Printer Drivers Keep List.

kelaniz

I'm sure I'm not the only one who's wanted to check the Printer Support component in nLite (all those printer drivers have to take up some space,) but reluctantly left it alone because of the description "some files are needed for PDF printers". Well, maybe the attached file will help. That, or it'll make sure you never print anything on that install again!

I went through all 1.5MB of NTPRINT.INF and made a list of the files needed to leave support for all the major brands, Fax, TTY Universal Print driver and (hopefully) PDF printers, and remove all the crap. The result was a list of 947 files you simply paste in your "Keep Files" list in nLite and check that Printers component for removal.

I kept all entries from the following makers:

Canon

HP

Lexmark

And these components:

Postscript

Generic/IBM TTY

Universal Print Driver (UNIDRV)

Windows 3.1 Fax Driver

Semi-major brands removed

AGFA

Apple

AT&T

Brother

Citizen

Compaq

Dataproducts

Digital

Epson

Fujitsu

IBM

Infotec

Kodak/Eastman Kodak

Konica

Kyocera

Lanier

Linotronic

Microtek

Minolta

NEC

Oki/Okidata/Okipage

NRG

OCE

Olivetti

Panasonic

QMS

Radio Shack

Ricoh

Samsung

Seiko

Sharp

Star

Toshiba

Texas Instruments (TI)

Xerox

... and about 50 minor brands with less than 10 entries.

This seemed to be the best compromise between saving space and not screwing myself by removing a device I might later use. The bulk of the printers XP has drivers for are foreign, off-brand, obsolete, business or high-end/specialty devices that 95% of us will never own, much less even know about. So, if you actually own a Bull Compuprint PM 1035e or a Mannesmann Tally T7040, you have my apologies.

Also, most of the drivers on the CD are seriously outdated. Now that Vista's out, a whole bunch more will be. Those that aren't completely rewritten to be Vista-optimized will probably get updated so they don't crash Vista. Besides, most people that don't do their own OS builds usually update all their drivers immediately after a fresh install. So it makes sense to me that the only printer files that should be on the CD/DVD are those that are actual Microsoft files that affect PDF printers, the universal printer driver, and fax, if you use it.

Anyway, the list is attached. I just paste the whole thing in nLite's "keep Files" section. If it doesn't work for you, simply create a new source, uncheck the printers component and delete the list of files from your Keep list. No harm done.

If anyone has any corrections, or knows of a better list, let me know. I created this on a whim a few weeks ago and decided to share it. Also, the standard disclaimer for downloads. While I'm 99% sure this list keeps all the necessary files you need to add PDF and physical printers in XP, as I said earlier, I don't have a working printer to test it (Got 4 printer doorstops, though!), so I could only test a few PDF printers, and they worked fine. Still, there's no warranty or responsibility expressed, implied or accepted by me if you paste this list in and your build ends up causing lost files, hardware damage, headache, heart attack, fist-shaped hole in monitor, spilled coffee or global thermonuclear war. Ok? :)

Hope this is useful to someone.

-Kel

Kelaniz_nLite_Printers_Keep_List_v1.1.txt

Edited by kelaniz

• 1 year later...

This is a great list, but I was wondering which files I have to leave for only a HP deskjet printer and pdf printer support.

When I check NTPRINT.INF, I should say the following files for the deskjet:

HPFDJ50.INI

HPFUD50.DLL

HPFUI50.DLL

HPFIMG50.DLL

HPF940AL.DLL

HPFDJ940.GPD

HPFDJ94X.GPD

HPFDJ200.HLP

HPFNAM50.GPD

Checking Kelaniz his list I should say the following files for the pdf printer and universal printer support:

PSCRIPT5.DLL

PS5UI.DLL

PSCRIPT.HLP

PSCRIPT.NTF

UNIDRV.DLL

UNIDRVUI.DLL

UNIDRV.HLP

colorq.ppd ??

Could someone give me advise on this?

Edited by XP_NO

I already know the only drivers you need to keep. You can remove 99% of all printer drivers safely in most cases, of course depending on printers. Which i have already provided information to in a few cases before.

I suggest using search function before trying to reinvent the wheel or so to speak.

keep these files, select in nlite to delete all other printer drivers.

locale.gpd

p6disp.gpd

p6font.gpd

pcl4res.dll

pcl5eres.dll

pcl5ures.dll

pclxl.dll

pclxl.gpd

pjl.gpd

stddtype.gdl

stdnames.gpd

stdschem.gdl

stdschmx.gdl

ttfsub.gpd

unidrv.dll

unidrv.hlp

unidrvui.dll

unires.dll

pjlmon.dll

@TranceEnergy;

Thanks for your reply.

I have added the files you mentioned and kept the hp*.* files from my list for the hp deskjet.

About searching the forums; I did, but without the result I wished....

Anyway, thanks for your help ;)

• 3 months later...

I don't understand, if we are installing a PDF printer, why do we need some special Windows files and not stuff that's included in the software we are installing?

anyway, if TranceEnergy's list is the great list for PDF printers, maybe we should add it to the program so that we don't all have to add it manually. physical printers usually we install the driver ourselves anyway

• 3 weeks later...

Adding my thanks here too! Ran out of space on my XP all-in-one CD (containing a _ton_ of integrations and all sane driverpacks.net drivers), and I really really, really, really, REALLY wanted to get rid of those useless old printer drivers!

Thanks to this, now I can! :)

• 9 months later...