svchost.exe

jrdinohio

I have read many of the forum post concerning SVCHOST.EXE. What is happening is I have 6 svchost processes running according to task manager. One specifically with a username "NETWORK SYSTEM" runs at 97% CPU usage almost every time I open my browser and often upon system restart. This holds my computer hostage for as long as 20-40 minutes. I have been trying to find out what that process is actually doing. Searches have suggested downloading a program called tasklist (since it is not available in XP Home edition). I tried it but it does not work on my computer. When I run it in command prompt using the following command (C:\tasklist /svc) I get and error stating "Class not registered". I am not sure if this svchost process is a problem. I have run numerous antivirus and antispyware programs and have cleaned my system. Most of the problems found were adware in the registry and tracking cookies. One trojan virus was found (trojan.vundo) which I cleaned using a trojan.vundo fix program. Spybot shows no problems and I have COMODO firewall Pro and avg spyware and antivirus active. Can someone advise me how to determine what the svchost processes are actually doing. I am running Windows XP Home Edition with SP2 installed. If the svchost process is malicious, how do I clean my system.