How to Create the litest of Lite on XP

killingfield197

I will say this again...

At some point in the future, we will probably be able to strip the NT 5.x / 6.0 kernel clean and operate it in Recovery Console, even without the GUI or any drivers (meaning ~15 Mb of memory being used). I would like to point out that, unless you are building yourself some kind of high-tech network driven headless server thingy, this is completely without purpose for any normal windows user.

For example, the Microsoft Singularity OS project is exactly at this point of development. It works. But you can't do anything on it.

At some point in the future, we will probably be able to strip the NT 5.x / 6.0 kernel clean and operate it in Recovery Console, even without the GUI

Just FYI, the tiniest of the Winbuilder project, PicoXP, can be considered a step in that direction, currently you can build a 14 Mb boot CD with basic CMD.EXE support.

"Bigger" projects range in 30÷70 Mb sizes.

A simple description and all needed links in this post by the main developer of WinBuilder, Nuno Brito:

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?sho...=19586&st=2

jaclaz

• 3 months later...

I don't think having the smallest XP is stupid. Of course the smallest xp represents less functionality.

Just a point here: mojopac is small but works well, so why not have a small XP and run it trough ramdrive using the QEmu Emulator (I'm always running DamnSmallLinux ISO Image with Qemu in my Windows XP computer at work, because i don't have Adm. Permissions).

We have to separate 2 diferent situations and be clear/aware of them:

1. Install XP under a pendrive and Boot XP though pendrive: this could be a full xp with ALL functionality that you want.

2. Have a Small XP (very small, less than 30 Mb) and run it with QEmu in RamDrive (Virtual ISO Image): very small functinality but the users are aware of that and accept this condition. The users wants this XP_RamDrive just to surf the net under a secure connection (no virusses), download/sync the outlook messages, run some small aplications and nothing much more than that. But nevertheless, is very interesting to have this ability. That's why mojopac (ringcube inc.) is team up with microsoft.

It would be interesting try to discover what components, drivers, etc, etc does mojopac have, so we could duplicate it with a nBuilt/XPLite xp version. This would be an interesting project. Or we could even do better and build a better small XP.

I think that a Small XP needs to have no more than 30MB so it can run in 256MB Ram computers (I've seen the post of 16MB in 911cd, but I'm really lost). So what can we remove?? What is really necessary to have?

Edited by portkaku

What you need is a better description tied to the removable components within nlite. I have asked for this many times to no avail.

Is someone that knows them now willing to go through nlite and tie everything that you can remove to a better description and to the what not to remoive for some apps topic?

We need it all in one place. All of this information is in to many places on msfn, and thats why the same questions get asked and asked and asked again. If we then tie all of that with what bold fortune has done (his stuff is very organized)can can easyly make a small xp/2003 disc with no problems.

just my 2 cents

:thumbup

One word nLite!

It is in the forum sections...

I just made a 81 meg XP iso right now...

59.6 megs 2000 w/sp5 iso...

I also made that much stripped windows xp sp2 with nlite! I installed it on virtualpc but alas! The window failed to boot even after complete installation! There was an error message- I could not note down.

The problem may be that I deleted some required components. I tried once again with a bigger windows- 300MB now-- and I was successful in this attempt.

It proves that nlite is a really amazing tool to make lite windows xp but we have to be careful regarding components removal.

Cheers!

to get this the best way i think:

Is nlite able to to remove all noninstalled components that are not on the current (semi clean) install and/or also able to remove all noncritical components (keep ide/agp/CPU/chipset ect. ect.) to keep the install running smooth? :thumbup

oh and about the search, get the real (onboard) search engine.

"powed by google" is most time messing up the search resaults if you using that one :}

Edited by thahandy

I have a tested 95mb disc that works perfectly. It will run and do everything I need it to do. Then I have an untested 85mb disc that I have to wait until I'm done with night classes at college to test out.

I use nLite to strip everything I don't need out and then use Bold_Fortune's guide to get ride of more stuff.