How to Create the litest of Lite on XP

killingfield197

Hi,

I was wondering if Any of you guys have a way to make thelightest of xplite? there are some service and other stuff that are on there in the component that i dont know if i need or not. I have a pretty good idea of what to delete but I just dont want to delete the wrong stuff.

Thanks,

KF1975

Do you have any idea how brutally this topic has beaten and maimed to death in the last 5 years? Do yourself a favor and search. There's got to be dozens of topics on this forum alone...

Welcome to MSFN.

Do you have any idea how brutally this topic has beaten and maimed to death in the last 5 years? Do yourself a favor and search. There's got to be dozens of topics on this forum alone...

Welcome to MSFN.

so... youre saying that theres a lot of information of this stuff?

can you do a search for me and post it in this thread?

No - but you can do it yourself. Just type the words in the search box at the top of the page.

Edited by Jeremy

No - but you can do it yourself. Just type the words in the search box at the top of the page.

ok i tried to serach but nothing comes up. i typed "lite xp. smallest xp. what not to delete. things to delete, how to create a lite disc" and so on.. but nothing is coming up. well nothing tthat im looking for. I just want to know which files are safe to delete that wont screw up the operating systems stability. seriously, any help would be appreciated.

I stripped everything out so yeah networking is prolly gone... (Will test tonight though) It was just an example of what nLite can do.

well sure yo ucan strip everything down to its bare minimum but whats the point of stripping everything down when you can have certain features like networking, file browsing, printer support, and other features.

is there a list of stuff thats okay to delete and not okay to delete? i see a description in NLite but those descriptions aren't enough. it explain what it does but some doesn't explain what its being used for.

Edited by killingfield197

If you are unsure what it is used for, do not remove it. Granted that there is a lot of legacy functionality in Windows that is replaced by 3rd party utilities, but people who try to go the extra mile usually always come back with something not working properly and wonder if there is a way to fix it without redoing the entire process. The answer is no. You can remove unneeded languages, keyboard layouts, drivers and multimedia components and reduce your ISO a good 60-70%. That's all I do nowadays. I don't remove any Services. I just disable them and if I receive any errors in my Event Log Viewer, I re-enable some.

The true benefit to performance is making sure you have good hardware, a clean system (CCleaner), a defragmented HDD and lightweight software that doesn't take up enormous amounts of resources (Norton for example).

lightweight software that doesn't take up enormous amounts of resources (Norton for example).

I guess you mean:

lightweight software that doesn't take up enormous amounts of resources (NOT Norton for example).

Don't you? :blink:

;)

jaclaz

If you are unsure what it is used for, do not remove it. Granted that there is a lot of legacy functionality in Windows that is replaced by 3rd party utilities, but people who try to go the extra mile usually always come back with something not working properly and wonder if there is a way to fix it without redoing the entire process. The answer is no. You can remove unneeded languages, keyboard layouts, drivers and multimedia components and reduce your ISO a good 60-70%. That's all I do nowadays. I don't remove any Services. I just disable them and if I receive any errors in my Event Log Viewer, I re-enable some.

The true benefit to performance is making sure you have good hardware, a clean system (CCleaner), a defragmented HDD and lightweight software that doesn't take up enormous amounts of resources (Norton for example).

well about about crap like speech and narrator and stuff like that. i have removed laungauges keyboard stuff but hwo about drive utlilies? Can i completely remove all drivers (except LAN driver) since everything can be taken online?

well about about crap like speech and narrator and stuff like that. i have removed laungauges keyboard stuff but hwo about drive utlilies? Can i completely remove all drivers (except LAN driver) since everything can be taken online?

Those are under Accessories. You can remove all drivers that you either have no use for or ones for which you'll be integrating your own.