Windows 2003 sp2

jftuga

I have about 20 servers that need SP2, but I first wanted to know if any one has seen reports of problems or issues with this service pack. Also, does SP2 need to be applied to 2003 R2?

Thanks,

-John

As far as I know, the R2 requires SP2 (from what I remember reading yesterday).

Also, I have had no issues whatsoever with the Service Pack. However, I'm running this as a workstation so don't take my word as a bible.

Hi there,

SP2 is great. I am running Server 2003 x64 Enterprise R2 and I give it 2 Thumbs up.

MAKE SURE R2 is installed PRIOR to SP2, Otherwise will NEVER be able to install R2 After. They are not compatible like that (DO NOT ASK WHY!!!) :wacko:

So Make sure R2 is up and running then apply SP2 and you are as good as gold! :thumbup

• 4 weeks later...

I had some problems with it.

I was using Windows Server 2003 with SP1, after installing SP2 i wasn't able to run my old MMC snap ins and unable to get the DHCP server started. Eventually i had to revert back to SP1.

Compatibility issues maybe?

SP2 is working well here so far. Regarding R2 - SP2 can be integrated into that CD just like it can be integrated into the 2K3 CD using the /integrate switch. Doing so will avoid any version conflicts.

If you are running RIS be sure to read the release notes. RIS is replaced with Windows Deployment Services . Supposedly this will run in a legacy (RIS) or mixed (RIS and Windows Deployment Services ) mode BUT ever since I installed SP2, I keep getting a RIS error that tells me I do not have the rights to add a computer account to the domain. I have yet to track down the source, as it appears all the permissions are correctly set on the surface.

Edited by bmusgrove

• 2 weeks later...

I've applied SP2 to x64 R2 systems and to a non R2 x32 box and didn't have any major problems. One box (BackupExec backup server) did lose some driver info and I had to reapply the BE driver patch.