2003 SP2 & 2003 R2 SP2

I just wanted to ask in a flashy way if theres a difference between 2003 SP2 and 2003 R2 SP2, i know R2 isnt a Service Pack, but as long as i know it has some core level modifications, so installing SP2 on a SP1 machine would it upgrade it to R2?

Regards.

Don't mean to derail a thread, but I think this question isn't big enough to warrant its own topic:

What's R2 stand for? Revision 2? Is that a different release of 2003?

Edit: Just to point out, considering this isn't my topic, the original post's question is priority.

Edited by Sekkira

R2 is a non-free feature release - it updates some of the inbox features (like DFS and FRS), and has nothing to do with the service pack. So yes, a 2003 R2 SP2 server will have more features than a 2003 SP2 server, but the core kernel will be the same.

There were a lot of updates including expanded features.

I Was on the Beta team for R2 and it was very enjoyable. I highly recommend it.

With many of the features it is much easier to get things done (New Toys).

The File Server Resource Management utility is awesome. I can't believe that was never included before now. The ability to block certain files (i.e.*setup* and *install*) from being put on my shares is one of my favorite features. Not to mention that I can also keep people from "backing up" their music/video files to the server(s).

The Print Management utility would also be awesome if it would email on events without having to open the MMC snapin (unless that's a setting I missed). :)

Edited by nmX.Memnoch

Oh notification works just fine for FSRM. It doesn't for the Printer Management though. It generates the emails but they don't send until I login and open the Printer Management snapin.

I looked at the KB articles. Fortunately I'm not having any problems with any of the Reports. Unfortunately I can't apply SP2 yet... :(

Edited by nmX.Memnoch