Server 2003 x64 R2 and SP2 (Merging It All Together)

From what I understand this does not work.

CD2 does not have the structure for CD1 and all the good stuff.

R2 is VERY strange, it is more of a "Front end" that installed upgraded modules and features.

I would NOT suggest using this method. Tomorrow night I will type up my Tutorial and all my results. I have a method that works PERFECT and it is not that difficult.

:thumbup

I have tried all methods of Slipstreaming SP2 and NONE of them worked. If you DON'T want R2 then it is a VERY different story. You can Slipstream SP2 with the normal method and you are laughing!

R2 is where all the problems start. :blink:

I don't get all the problems you've been having in this thread. In my own experience, I merged the two CDs and SP2 applied cleanly to the resulting install source without issue. First it did the regular CD1 components, then it spawned a second process and did the R2 components. Admittedly, I did it with x32, but could x64 really be that different?

Yes, I am not sure why it is a problem.

I have done that but when the second process launches for R2 during install it comes up with an Error Message saying that R2 is not compatible with SP2. It when stops the install.

I have tried so many different options.

First Step (CMDLINES.TXT)

[COMMANDS]
"REGEDIT /S Tweaks.reg"
"Stage1.cmd"

This is Stage1.cmd (The Part where I fail the R2 Install at the CMDLINES Stage)

@ECHO OFF
ECHO Installing Server 2003 R2 (Failed Attempt so R2 Does not start when First Log-in)
ECHO ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
start /wait ..\cmpnents\r2\setup2.exe /q /a
exit

This is the silent install command-line for R2. What I found was that in the log files it would not install R2 because it says the system needs to restart due to another install that needs to be completed.

This is the bext part as when the system reboots into Windows for the first time R2 was already tried so it will NOT Launch R2 again. This way you can complete your normal install. Then Install R2 with the same command-line and then right after do the silent install of SP2 and restart.

After reboot you are good to go!

Here is what I run for [GUIRunOnce]

Here is the setup file for R2 that can be used

@ECHO OFF
CMDOW @ /HID
CLS
for %%a in (C D E F G H I J K) do if exist %%a:\WIN52AA.R2 set CDROM=%%a:
CLS
start /wait %systemdrive%\Install\R2\Sleep.exe 5
start /wait %CDROM%\cmpnents\r2\setup2.exe /q /a
exit

Then here is SP2

(I decompressed SP2 onto the disc and then used this command)

@ECHO OFF
CMDOW @ /HID
CLS
for %%a in (C D E F G H I J K) do if exist %%a:\WIN52AA.R2 set CDROM=%%a:
CLS
start /wait %CDROM%\Updates\SP2\amd64\update\update.exe /passive /norestart /overwriteoem /nobackup
exit

With this you are going to have 100% Unattended!

This is the only way I have been able to get this to work...

This has already been covered if you read the previous posts.

We can not slipstream SP2 due to R2 Not installing after SP2 is installed. R2 MUST be installed prior to SP2.

I WISH we could slipstream it all but it does not work. I tried about 40 different ways to try and make it work. Every combination I could think of and this method I have laid out DOES work and being that it all runs from the DVD the install is very quick (Not much is copied to the HDD).

The only draw back is the amount of space used up on the DVD. I would use a self extracting RAR to solve this but it will make the install process take longer. So either speed or space efficient are your options...

Edited by X-Savior

So make sure I'm completely on the same page as you, you're saying this doesn't work for you?

1.) Rip Win2K3 CD1 and CD2 to hard drive

2.) Merge the two directories into one install source

3.) Integrate SP2 into this new unified install source

That's not working for you? When I did exactly those steps, the R2 components got updated just fine during the SP2 slipstream and R2 installed fine within Windows.

I would have to agree with x-saviour.

My steps;

1. copy Win 2003 x64 CD1 w/SP1 to folder (unattend file I use has R2 CD KEY)

2. copy Win 2003 x64 CD2 (which is R2) into same folder.

Only 1 overwrite prompt for unimportant file.

3. build server from this source.

4. after GUIRunOnce section completes, window pops up asking for CD2

Just by merging the 2 CDs and running install from this source doesn't install R2.

If it did, I could have just slipstreamed SP2 and been done with it.

Hey Ryan!

That is correct.

I can't explain it either. It SHOULD work but it does not....

The slipstream goes fine and I thought I had it. But When Windows Launched for the first time when it asked for CD-2 (Before I started doing silent install) it would begin to install but then come up with an error right away. it would then exit the R2 Install.

So, that is where I started to work from. The biggest problem was that R2 starts to install at the same time that GUIRUNONCE starts so lets say then that R2 and SP2 are going to install at the same time.... (VERY BAD!!!)

So I needed to take control of the order software was being installed. The best way was to "Trick" Windows into thinking R2 Initial install had already been started. I thought Commandlines.txt would do the install but when I loaded Windows after install I found R2 was not installed. I was very surprised so I looked for the Log File and it had a message that the system needed to reboot before it can be installed.

BUT.... The result that got me REALLY excited was R2 DID NOT attempt to install. So Windows must have had a trigger that once R2 install was attempted then it will not try again.

So I used this to my advantage to "Intentionally Fail" R2 so I can then not have the Setup launch and then I can re-run the setup with a Batch file in my Xplode install prior to SP2. I then use the SP2 Batch file right after R2 and it installed PERFECTLY and 100% Silent. I then used a reboot command and on restart it shows R2 installed and Service Pack 2 Installed.

It works FANTASTIC!!! :thumbup

Edited by X-Savior

That is correct.

What I do is have Xplode run with the GUIRUNONCE Phase (So when Windows loads for the first time, right after login and before going to the desktop).

Xplode then installs R2 first thing. Then a few other programs and then the VERY LAST thing it does is Install SP2. After SP2 is installed it will reboot the system and then login and load normally.

All the upgrades have been done and the OS is up to date. There is not a single problem.

(Otherwise R2 Install.... The Automatic One.... Will ALSO run at first login even though something else is running).

The problem I found was this, R2 Upgrade install begins and while it is working Xplode started running and installing the software and SP2 at the same time. So I needed to find a way to STOP the R2 from automatically installing at first login. This way I can launch the install of R2 when I want it and can use the /wait command to make sure 2 programs do not get into a race condition.

What I have laid out and the commands I have shown here works 100% Flawless. Tonight I am going to try my install again. I expect it to by my final revision. I will post my results but what I have posted have already been proven by 6 Installs already.

Hello,

I don't understand the sliptstream problems related here.

I've slipstreamed many versions of 2003 R2 and they all ended with SP2 ok (R2 x64 Enterprise, R2 x64 Standard, R2 x86 Enterprise, x86 Standard, etc)

They were all done from bootable ISO and ended up in bootable ISO again, most of them have also already been tested in virtual machines, installed CD 1 correctly, asked for CD 2 after logon, and installed CD 2 correctly.

What I did:

Mount original CD1 ISO on virtual cd, copy entire CD to some directory on hard disk

Run service pack 2 /integrate on that directory

Put original CD1 ISO on some ISO editor (UltraISO in my case), delete the file list, drag&drop the new files, save iso

Mount original CD2 ISO on virtual cd, copy entire CD to some other directory on hard disk

Run service pack 2 /integrate on that other directory

Put original CD2 ISO on some ISO editor (UltraISO in my case), delete the file list, drag&drop the new files, save iso

I did this to all the versions I said before, and most of them were already "manually" installed in virtual machines with absolutely no problem.

[],

Kharys

That is correct.

*sigh* Well, no wonder you're having problems. You weren't doing what I told you to do :rolleyes:

I told you to integrate SP2, as in, using the /integrate switch. As in, SP2 files overwrite existing files in your install source. As in, you don't have to install SP2 after the fact. As in, everything is SP2 from the beginning, including your R2 files.

Hey Ryan!

Yes, I do know what INTEGRATE means.... :rolleyes:

And this is what I did (Originally) and it failed to work properly.

Now the one thing that I did not try doing was use the Integrate command on CD 2 (By It's self).

I may give this a try....

What I did was copy CD 2 into CD1 and then used the INTEGRATE on the whole thing, this did not work (Integrated just fine but Once it came to R2 install it found the files as expected and launched just fine but came up with a compatibility error when it started to actually install)

I have an install running right now, I will see the results and I may try a quick integration again...

Also, there seems not to be a way to INTEGRATE R2 either.... I am not talking about having the files there but have it already integrated into Windows so it is R2 & SP2 right from the beginning of the install. This is the ultimate goal I am trying to achieve.

Edited by X-Savior

I started a thread asking that exact question and the answer was no, R2 can't be integrated in the "built into the Windows install" sort of way.

Yes, you can use /integrate on CD2 as well. What's odd though is that (in my own personal experience), if you use /integrate on a combined directory, it will integrate both sets (2K3 and R2) just fine. First it does the 2K3 components, then a second process launches doing the R2 components.

Yea,

It SHOULD work, but does not.

I will try your method tomorrow night and see what happens... :unsure:

Why can R2 not be Integrated?

Also, What about .NET Framework 3.0? Can it somehow be Integrated? That is my HUGE holdup during my unattended install right now....

Edited by X-Savior