Apple Store - DRM-Free

Maleko

CUPERTINO, California—April 2, 2007—Apple® today announced that EMI Music’s entire digital catalog of music will be available for purchase DRM-free (without digital rights management) from the iTunes® Store (www.itunes.com) worldwide in May. DRM-free tracks from EMI will be offered at higher quality 256 kbps AAC encoding, resulting in audio quality indistinguishable from the original recording, for just $1.29 per song. In addition, iTunes customers will be able to easily upgrade their entire library of all previously purchased EMI content to the higher quality DRM-free versions for just 30 cents a song. iTunes will continue to offer its entire catalog, currently over five million songs, in the same versions as today—128 kbps AAC encoding with DRM—at the same price of 99 cents per song, alongside DRM-free higher quality versions when available.

Full Story

So, if you want, you can pay 20p more for a song, that is 256kbps in quality, a LOT better than 128kbps, and also have it DRM free, so you can use the song on anything, not just your own iPod etc!

• 2 months later...
Don't the DRM-free files contain your personal info?

In case they should be leaked to a p2p site and shared?

That's what I've read.

do you plan on leaking ur drm-free mp3's? lol

this would be a great thing for the RIAA

Don't the DRM-free files contain your personal info?

In case they should be leaked to a p2p site and shared?

That's what I've read.

Who is writing that? Can the *AA really count on that as evidence in court? I don't think it would help their case since the files could be stolen instead of purposefully shared. People's computers get hacked and their files stolen all the time.

eg, If someone steals your car and goes joyriding, do you have to pay their speeding ticket?

did you give it out or was it stolen?
Who is that question for? I don't think anyone here has had this happen :unsure:
they have sued ppl without computers.. so ive been told.
I've read that as well. They've had several bad cases against people who seemed quite innocent. You are right that they don't seem to care much. Their tactic is to out-spend you and hope you settle out of court. My previous post was intended to mean that they shouldn't *really* have a case against someone who had their files stolen. That doesn't stop them from suing you anyway and making it cheaper to settle than to defend your innocence.

Anything can be introduced as evidence in court, pending the judge's approval. I was trying to say that it might not be convincing/useful evidence against a defendant.