Encrypt serial key XP in winnt.sif

Hi all,

My first post on this forum :thumbup And I have a question. Does anyone know if you can encrypt your serial key of Windows XP in the winnt.sif file?

Our is there an other way to secure the key? (except hiding the file)

I would realy appreciate if someone can answer my question!

Thanks.

you cant encrypt the key because windows will not recognise it on install. If you dont want to have it embeded in the winnt.sif file, the you can prompt for it when required (change UnattendMode to UnattendMode=DefaultHide instead of FullUnattended)

Ofcourse you can... Use the setupmgr.exe file contained in the deploy.cab archive in the support folder of the xp cd to generate a winnt.sif file and select the checkbox that says encrypt key.

When you read the winnt.sif file in notepad later, you'll see that the key in is the encrypted form.

Edited by siddharth.c

I have finally found a solution, you have to enter the following in a DOS box.

Winnt32.exe /encrypt:"XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX:5" /unattend:winnt.sif

First in cmd you have to go to the location where the winnt.sif file is located, en then enter the above command. '5' are the days that the key is usable, after the 5 days you have to enter a key again. You can ofcourse enter 999 days, for example, so it will be usable for a long time.

I have finally found a solution, you have to enter the following in a DOS box.

Winnt32.exe /encrypt:"XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX:5" /unattend:winnt.sif

Unfortunately this method only works for Volume Keys.

Why does it need to be encrypted? Anyone can get the key with a keyfinder after install.

Unless keyfinder launch is restricted by policies :D Also, you may want to hide the key from everybody who can access the medium.

Link on the subject Windows XP Service Pack 1 Volume License Product Key Encryption

Exactly, the key is on the medium, I dont want that. If the dvd will get lost, anyone can easily can have the key. It is for a company...

• 3 weeks later...