Run Simple Apps from Autounattend.xml

Both is working for me. I can install from DVD or USB stick. For the moment I use a stick and that is my prefered method cause it's easier to edit.

I had problems to get the stick detected in pe pass when setting %DriversRoot% variable to install drivers. This happend cause my cmd that supposed to set the DriversRoot variable was running before the stick was recognized by system completly.

I could imagine that you have the same kind of issue now just in a later pass... but can't tell you for sure... just thinking

Regards,

Martin

EDIT:

I've forgot to tell you the solution for my problem:

I was putting the set command into a loop, so it's trying to set the variable now again and again till the stick is recognized. On my system this solution is causing a delay of about 4 seconds. Others gave me feedback, that they would have a delay between 10 and 15 seconds. So it's very different from system to system how long it takes, till USB stick is mounted.

You could try to use a FOR loop executing before other applications are installed. May be that will resolve the problem.

Example:

cmd /c FOR /L %i IN (1,1,3000) DO ECHO Loop > NUL

The last value inside brackets marks the end of the loop. As higher the value as longer the loop will run.

Edited by FireGeier

I tried all this in a DELL OEM dvd , but then it doesnt work.

WPI doesnt start anymore when i first enter vista.

What you've tried exactly? The WPI I would still start with synchronous command in OOBE. But I'm not sure what you're trying to do for the moment.

May post your autounattend.xml to clear this up.

Thanks 'n' regards,

Martin

I tried all this in a DELL OEM dvd , but then it doesnt work.

WPI doesnt start anymore when i first enter vista.

What you've tried exactly? The WPI I would still start with synchronous command in OOBE. But I'm not sure what you're trying to do for the moment.

May post your autounattend.xml to clear this up.

Thanks 'n' regards,

Martin

Never mind, i just wont use that dvd for now :whistle:

The Dell OEM DVD won't work. Dell already has an OOBE.xml file running and some other things are happening. I couldn't get autologin to work either with the OEM DVD. Once I switched to the Upgrade DVD things started working better.

@ MarcJ:

It could be the, that it's the DVD. Have you tried out to remove the oobe.xml? You may have to mount install.wim and remove it from there, but I'm not sure. Never have had a OEM DVD in my hands so far.

BTW Upgrade DVD isn't a good sources for unattended setups, too, I guess.

Would you be able to send a list with directory structure of OEM DVD?

Would be important to know, cause the most private people will have to work with an OEM DVD at least. And this is the main target group of this guide.

Regards,

Martin

Edited by FireGeier

@ MarcJ:

It could be the, that it's the DVD. Have you tried out to remove the oobe.xml? You may have to mount install.wim and remove it from there, but I'm not sure. Never have had a OEM DVD in my hands so far.

BTW Upgrade DVD isn't a good sources for unattended setups, too, I guess.

Would you be able to send a list with directory structure of OEM DVD?

Would be important to know, cause the most private people will have to work with an OEM DVD at least. And this is the main target group of this guide.

Regards,

Martin

Check PM

PID.TXT is not needed

Question :

How do i put this in the XML :

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{FD6905CE-952F-41F1-9A6F-135D9C6622CC}]
@="WscNotify Class"

Edited by sp00f

PID.TXT is not needed

Yes it is. At least for me it activates with it but not without..

strange, i dont need it.....i just took the $OEM$ folder from a DELL OEM dvd and put that in a normal Vista DVD

strange, i dont need it.....i just took the $OEM$ folder from a DELL OEM dvd and put that in a normal Vista DVD

If you're using an OEM DVD activation is done by *.xrm-ms file, which is located in $OEM$\$$\SYSTEM32\OEM, AFAIK.

So to get it worked like described in guide AND to keep the auto activation, you need to create a new ISO that contains the $OEM$ folder from original OEM DVD but remove the folders Setup and Panther from $OEM$ folder before creating the new ISO file.

Confirmations about that procedure would be apreciated, cause I don't have an OEM DVD, so these informations I got as feedback from others.

Regards,

Martin