Vista unattended Guide

Ok got it working i tried your advice although vista told me to do it... anyway i disabled Symantec AV, i closed winamp agent, i closed Clone CD tray and closed Deamon Tools and it went ok.

Thanx for your help and paitience... :)

Edited by tonycrew

Im getting the following errors when I come to save my XML answer file.

Setting SkipMachineOOBE is deprecated in the windows image.

8 x The setting has not been modified. It will no be saved to the answer file.

my answer file :

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<unattend xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:unattend">

<settings pass="windowsPE">

<component name="Microsoft-Windows-International-Core-WinPE" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">

<SetupUILanguage>

<UILanguage>en-US</UILanguage>

</SetupUILanguage>

<InputLocale>00020437</InputLocale>

<UserLocale>en-GB</UserLocale>

<UILanguage>en-US</UILanguage>

<SystemLocale>en-GB</SystemLocale>

</component>

<component name="Microsoft-Windows-Setup" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">

<UserData>

<ProductKey>

<Key>**********************</Key> (I deleted this for purpose of post)

<WillShowUI>OnError</WillShowUI>

</ProductKey>

<AcceptEula>true</AcceptEula>

</UserData>

</component>

</settings>

<settings pass="oobeSystem">

<component name="Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">

<AutoLogon>

<Password>

<Value></Value>

<PlainText>true</PlainText>

</Password>

<Enabled>true</Enabled>

<LogonCount>1</LogonCount>

<Username>Administrator</Username>

</AutoLogon>

<OOBE>

<HideEULAPage>true</HideEULAPage>

<SkipMachineOOBE>true</SkipMachineOOBE>

<SkipUserOOBE>true</SkipUserOOBE>

</OOBE>

<TimeZone>(GMT) Greenwich Mean Time : Dublin, Edinburgh, Lisbon, London</TimeZone>

<UserAccounts>

<AdministratorPassword>

<Value />

<PlainText>true</PlainText>

</AdministratorPassword>

</UserAccounts>

</component>

</settings>

<settings pass="specialize">

<component name="Microsoft-Windows-Security-Licensing-SLC-UX" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">

<SkipAutoActivation>true</SkipAutoActivation>

</component>

<component name="Microsoft-Windows-Deployment" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">

<RunSynchronous>

<RunSynchronousCommand wcm:action="add">

<Order>1</Order>

<Path>cmd /c "FOR %i IN (C D E F G H I J K L N M O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z) DO IF EXIST %i:\AppsRoot.txt SETX AppsRoot %i: -m"</Path>

</RunSynchronousCommand>

<Order>2</Order>

<Path>%WINDIR%\system32\sysprep\sysprep.exe /quiet /audit</Path>

</RunSynchronousCommand>

</RunSynchronous>

</component>

</settings>

<settings pass="auditUser">

<component name="Microsoft-Windows-Deployment" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">

<RunSynchronous>

<Order>1</Order>

<Path>cmd /c REGEDIT /S %AppsRoot%Install\RegTweaks\IE Desktop.reg</Path>

</RunSynchronousCommand>

<Order>2</Order>

<Path>cmd /c REGEDIT /S %AppsRoot%Install\RegTweaks\Vista Tweaks.reg</Path>

</RunSynchronousCommand>

<Order>3</Order>

<Path>cmd /c %AppsRoot%Install\Opera\Opera921.exe</Path>

</RunSynchronousCommand>

<Order>4</Order>

<Path>cmd /c %AppsRoot%Install\ConnectionPatch\InstallPatch32.bat</Path>

</RunSynchronousCommand>

<Order>60</Order>

<Path>%WINDIR%\system32\sysprep\sysprep.exe /quiet /oobe /reboot</Path>

</RunSynchronousCommand>

</RunSynchronous>

</component>

</settings>

<cpi:offlineImage cpi:source="wim:c:/documents%20and%20settings/administrator/desktop/project_x/sources/install.wim#Windows Vista (vLite) HOMEPREMIUM" xmlns:cpi="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:cpi" />

</unattend>

Would anyone be able to help where Im going wrong. Thanks in advance & the UA Vista guide is great.

Edited by acen2006

Martin,

Sorry for the late response

Im talking about this:

post-134293-1182929525_thumb.jpg

I took it from an Acer laptop, is the map where all the offers, eula and pics end so on stand.

I changed it into my own information. So the offers and pics come in the welcome screen.

Now the question is: Can i automate it so that when install Vista with ur great guide, the map goes directly where it needs to be put (oobe).

Or is there an other way.

thx for youre time :thumbup

Hi,

i followed the guide and started the install and it works fine after i click next on the below window:

post-86340-1183178058_thumb.jpg

Any ideas why this window is still poping up?

Edited by komo06

Hi,

i followed the guide and started the install and it works fine after i click next on the below window:

Hello komo!

Well, if you would have followed the guide correctly, you would not get this window! :thumbup Sorry, I'm kidding!

But I can't read tea leaves... so would you may post your Autounattend.xml. :hello:

Regards,

Martin

Guide Update:

I've changed the row inside manual updates section from:

# Alternative I - Manual Integration

* Step 1: Copying updates into one folder

* Step 2: Mounting install.wim

* Step 3: Creating temporary folder

* Step 4: Extracting update files

* Step 5: Importing update packages to WSIM

* Step 6: Adding update and hotfix packages to answer file

* Step 7: Saving answer file as Integrate.xml

* Step 8: Integrating updates using package manager pkgmgr.exe

* Step 9: Save changes to install.wim

* Step 10: Clearing Sandbox directory

* If something went wrong

to

Alternative I - Manual Integration

* Step 1: Copying updates into one folder

* Step 2: Creating temporary folder

* Step 3: Extracting update files

* Step 4: Importing update packages to WSIM

* Step 5: Adding update and hotfix packages to answer file

* Step 6: Saving answer file as Integrate.xml

* Step 7: Mounting install.wim

* Step 8: Integrating updates using package manager pkgmgr.exe

* Step 9: Save changes to install.wim

* Step 10: Clearing Sandbox directory

* If something went wrong

Before you could recieve an error message while trying to open install.wim inside WSIM, telling that install.wim is in use already.

Regards,

Martin

• 2 weeks later...

Is it normal to not have entries in your Add/Remove Programs after running the installation files from audituser mode? For some reason, my Daemon Tools and Opera entries are not present. The Start Menu shortcuts do not appear either. The only item which appears is the Sun Java. I tested the applications (Opera and Daemon Tools) and they work fine, it's just that their entries are missing from the Add/Remove programs and start menu. Is there something wrong with my installation files?

Any insight would be a appreciated. Thanks!

Is it normal to not have entries in your Add/Remove Programs after running the installation files from audituser mode? For some reason, my Daemon Tools and Opera entries are not present. The Start Menu shortcuts do not appear either. The only item which appears is the Sun Java. I tested the applications (Opera and Daemon Tools) and they work fine, it's just that their entries are missing from the Add/Remove programs and start menu. Is there something wrong with my installation files?

I believe thats it is caused by you being as the administrator in audit mode. maybe this is restricting you from removing the programs that the administrator has installed?? just a thought.... also i didn't think you could get rid of the language selection at the begining of a vista install... when its white i know it has detected the autounattend.xml.

when installing are you selecting that applies to all users or this account only?

Edited by Atheros

I believe thats it is caused by you being as the administrator in audit mode. maybe this is restricting you from removing the programs that the administrator has installed?? just a thought.... also i didn't think you could get rid of the language selection at the begining of a vista install... when its white i know it has detected the autounattend.xml.

when installing are you selecting that applies to all users or this account only?

I believe you are correct, sir. I re-did my Opera installation specifying the ALLUSERs switch and it appeared in the Add/Remove. Odd since I never had to do that with my XP install. Go figure. Thanks, sir. :D

...I believe thats it is caused by you being as the administrator in audit mode. ...

That is right.

I re-did my Opera installation specifying the ALLUSERs switch and it appeared in the Add/Remove.

Another option should be to copy the Administrators user profile to the Default user profile when leaving audit mode like described here. This has the advantage that all user specific settings are moved to Default user profile and all user in future will inherit them, even if they were installed with an "AllUsers" switch or not.

Regards,

Martin

I'm getting the following error when running mount_install_wim.cmd:

VVersion= NOT DECLARED! 
ImgX= NOT DECLARED!

2 environment variables are not setted. So the
procedure can't be continued.

Check Control Panel \ System \ Avanced \
to find out, if all environment variables were setted correctly.

You will find more informations about that inside Vista guide
in "Preparation\ Prepare directories".

I adjusted the value of ImgX variable BEFORE executing the PrepLab.cmd, as stated in the x64 notes for PrepLab.cmd. Imgx shows up under "system variables", but VVersion is missing.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Hello Spaceboy!

Please change the following line inside PrepLab.cmd from,

IF EXIST "%WorkDrive%\VistaWork\DVD\boot\cdboot.efi" SETX VVersion amd64 -m

to

IF EXIST "%WorkDrive%\VistaWork\DVD\bootmgr.efi" SETX VVersion amd64 -m

This should set the VVersion to amd64 than.

For the moment I can't find an error that would cause the ImgX problem. Would you please post your adapted PrepLab.cmd.

Thanks & Regards,

Martin

Please change the following line inside PrepLab.cmd from,

IF EXIST "%WorkDrive%\VistaWork\DVD\boot\cdboot.efi" SETX VVersion amd64 -m

to

IF EXIST "%WorkDrive%\VistaWork\DVD\bootmgr.efi" SETX VVersion amd64 -m

This should set the VVersion to amd64 than.

For the moment I can't find an error that would cause the ImgX problem. Would you please post your adapted PrepLab.cmd.

Thanks. VVersion is now set correctly. Just found what was causing the ImgX problem. In your prepare.cmd you've written the following:

::so the whole line looks like this:
::
::SETX Imgx "%Programfiles%\Windows AIK\Tools\amd64" -m

"SETX Imgx" however should read "SETX ImgX". The X in ImgX being a capital Letter. Anyway problem solved now, thanks for the help