Too many Stickies?

Could the number of stickies be pruned? Most of them are good - even though many of the contributors are duplicating each other's efforts and sometimes working at cross purposes. Can't you get your heads together and perhaps pool your efforts, guys??

Could the number of stickies be pruned? Most of them are good - even though many of the contributors are duplicating each other's efforts and sometimes working at cross purposes. Can't you get your heads together and perhaps pool your efforts, guys??

Can you suggest which ones need to be pruned? That would add something concrete to your concerns, 'cause at the moment its abstract ... in fact completely and totally abstract. There's a book you should read --- "The Iron Heel" by Jack London -- that will cure you of speaking in abstraction quick smart. Highly recommended. ;)

and just out of interest, what screen resolution are you normally working with? If you're still at 1024 x 768 or below then of course its too many stickies ...

Yeah! Who says 1024x768 is outdated? I'm on an HP Pavilion Mx70 17 inch CRT monitor which looks fine at 1024x768. In fact, here on Linux the ATI fglrx drivers have that as their highest resolution. I think that's only for 3D though. It lists 640x480, 800x600, and 1024x768 in Xorg.cfg but the new Catalyst Control Center does allow selection of many others, both higher and lower. I think you can set the desktop res to those, but 3D OpenGL applications have to be run at the 3 listed xorg.cfg resolutions.

Not that 3D gaming really is usable with ATI right now. Too slow. If I'm going to mostly stick to Linux I'd better switch to my other, nearly identical box that has an NVidia card in it. I keep hoping they'll fix things but even the new Catalyst version just offers a new, nice Catalyst Control Center with monitor switching (only have 1 so that doesn't effect me) and color adjustments. No 3D improvements that I can see. Mupen64 still runs at between 3 and 5 fps! Umm, that's unplayable. Looks pretty though!

At least I can play all my NES and SNES games. FceUltra with the GFCE Ultra frontend is perfect, with gamepad support and full screen as well. Snes9x works without gamepad support (keyboard stinks but at least it works) and only in a Window but if I maximize the window it takes the entire screen with only a tiny titlebar on top and the game fills the whole screen. Looks awesome. The audio is better than on Windows. It's in synch, no scratchiness, and high quality.

Anyway, using the Microsoft TrueType fonts everything looks just fine in 1024x768. Can hardly tell I'm not in Windows! Except for no Virus Scanners or Spyware detecting wasting all my resources and time. Vista sits on my first hard drive unused! (Mostly.)

Can you suggest which ones need to be pruned? That would add something concrete to your concerns, 'cause at the moment its abstract ... in fact completely and totally abstract. There's a book you should read --- "The Iron Heel" by Jack London -- that will cure you of speaking in abstraction quick smart. Highly recommended. ;) and just out of interest, what screen resolution are you normally working with? If you're still at 1024 x 768 or below then of course its too many stickies ...

Wow! Gosh!! Omigawd!!! Didn't mean to get your hackles up!!!

It's 600x800 AAMOI, no problem except when I'm trying to read one of those super-marionation websites which reach from west to east.....

I still like my idea best. Make a topic that lists and links the older stickies, and have newer sticky-worthy topics be stickied. Change this every time some new stickies get added. As in, older stickies get archived into the topic.

I still like my idea best. Make a topic that lists and links the older stickies, and have newer sticky-worthy topics be stickied. Change this every time some new stickies get added. As in, older stickies get archived into the topic.

I agree with you completely. I don't think there are too many stickies, but if the majority says there is, why not just have 1 post serving as a directory of sorts, to list the important topics.

the_guy

What I would do is gather all of the links to the Sticky threads and create one sticky that links to the other threads. ;)

It looks much cleaner that way. ;)

Edit: The_Guy beat me to it. lol

Edited by Siginet

What I would do is gather all of the links to the Sticky threads and create one sticky that links to the other threads. ;)

It looks much cleaner that way. ;)

Edit: The_Guy beat me to it. lol

If a modification is required then this is how it should be done, if not then the current layout suites the purpose of one click access to important threads for an endangered operating system.