Inno installer problem; Lavasoft Personal Firewall ver. 1.0.543.433

tallspruce

Hello,

I have been trying to install this silently from a cmd file that runs from [GuiRunOnce] on an unattended XPsp2 install CD.

This is the command:

start /wait %systemdrive%\Install\Lavasoft_Personal_Firewall_Setup.exe /VERYSILENT /SP- /SUPPRESSMSGBOXS /NORESTART

It installs, but not silently. A wizard msg box pops up asking if I want to install default configuration or custom?

Default is preselected and I only need to press the NEXT button...two more boxes open and the last has a FINISH button.

I installed the INNO Setup Unpacker and the Compiler and unpacked it and attempted to compile a new installer but am having difficulties.

Under [setup], in the install_script.iss, is this line:

DefaultDirName={code:GetOutpostFolder}

Inno Setup Compiler wont compile with this there saying it is not a valid directory. If I change it to something else the installer fails with a directory error.

This is the original SETUP portion of the install script (it won't compile):

[sETUP]

AppName=Lavasoft Personal Firewall

AppVerName=Lavasoft Personal Firewall 1.0

DefaultDirName={code:GetOutpostFolder} <-------is this Pascal Scripting?

OutputBaseFilename=LavasoftFirewallInstall1.0

Compression=lzma

WizardImageFile=embedded\WizardImage.bmp

WizardSmallImageFile=embedded\WizardSmallImage.bmp

This is my revised SETUP that compiled but would not install:

[sETUP]

AppName=Lavasoft Personal Firewall

AppVerName=Lavasoft Personal Firewall 1.0

DefaultDirName={pf}\Lavasoft

OutputBaseFilename=LavasoftFirewallInstall1.0

DisableStartupPrompt=yes

DisableReadyPage=yes

DisableDirPage=yes

DisableReadyMemo=yes

DisableProgramGroupPage=yes

DisableFinishedPage=yes

Compression=lzma

There must be a way to force a compile or else how could the original setup.exe have been created?

Any suggestions/solutions? I'm on shaky ground here knowledgewise so please describe in detail any steps that need to be taken.

Hello tallspruce,

start /wait %systemdrive%\Install\Lavasoft_Personal_Firewall_Setup.exe /VERYSILENT /SP- /SUPPRESSMSGBOXES /NORESTART

It may work better with the E.

DefaultDirName={code:GetOutpostFolder} <-------is this Pascal Scripting?

Yes, it will be already compiled so it makes it differcult to compile the script when you do not have the pascal source code. You also need to have the pascal extensions installed for Inno Setup to compile it.

:)

He, he.. :blushing:

Maybe I should try it with the "E" before I try building my own installer...

I checked and I had misspelled it in the batch file also, so I probably misspelled it at the cmd prompt...

Thanks for pointing that out.

I'll let ya know if it works.

Nope.

I just tried it with the "E" included and I still get the install wizard.

On the wizard is a "Next" button. All I need is something to push/activate the next button twice and then the finish button, the defaults are fine.

I just may have to change firewalls and if I do lavasoft is gonna hear my rant. :angry:

I'll tell them I'm a big company that was interested in purchasing a volume license but since it won't install silently...

Could you please specify which extensions I would need for the Inno compiler to compile the coded portion?

For now, I don't plan on changing the coded portion, just want to see if any of the disable features I add to [setup] will disable the wizard and force defaults.

There is an encryption module and several third-party tools (none that mention pascal scripting in their descriptions) and also there is Pascal Script 3.0 on another website.

Could you please specify which extensions I would need for the Inno compiler to compile the coded portion?

At the Inno Setup Downloads Page, you will see a QuickStart Pack. Download the ispack-5.1.11.exe installer to download the items needed. This is the easiest way to get the pascal extensions added rather then trying to do it manually.

I downloaded the firewall from download.com and unpacked it for a look. You may end up missing the needed setup code for setting up the service?, etc... that is probably done through the custom pascal code. I made up a custom installer with what info was available to use and it did not work right at all, but mind you that I am testing in Vista under a Virtual Machine that the firewall does not indeed support Vista to start with. I installed the firewall from the original installer silently and ofcourse Vista complained but I continued. I saw only one window which was a complaint about OBDC. You may get different results with XPSP2 as it seems with your results.

To summarize, rebuilding the installer seems differcult to have it fully functional and silent install has issues as we know. You maybe able to use Installrite, AutoIt or some other means to make installation a little more manageable.

I really appreciate all the trouble you went to to MHz. Thanks.

I am surprised that it installed silently on your Vista VM despite the obdc error. I assume that you installed it with these switches in the same order?:

start /wait %systemdrive%\Install\Lavasoft_Personal_Firewall_Setup.exe /VERYSILENT /SP- /SUPPRESSMSGBOXES /NORESTART

I sent an e-mail to Lavasoft and got this reply:

Dear Sir/Madam

Unfortunately not. It needs to be registered which cannot be automated.

Kind regards,

Jona, Lavasoft Support

xxxxxxx@bresnan.net skrev:

> I'm looking for a firewall to puchase for my company that has an

> installer that can be installed silently with no user interaction. I

> tried your firewall and was not able to install it silently despite

> using the proper switches. Do you have a silent installer for this

> firewall?

It doesn't need to be registered at the time of installation (10 day trial period) and there is no message box asking to register it.

I have changed firewalls to Comodo (not absolute) and am running into the same problem. This installer does ask for registration although it is free. I have downloaded the Autoit for it (see quote) but I'm not sure yet if thats what I want to do..

I have made an AutoIt that installs it silently.

I think I would like to try making my own Autoit for the Lavasoft firewall even if I decide not to use it.

I have no knowledge of scripting, pascal or otherwise, and it seems like it could be a legal grey area to modify an installer for a shareware program. Think I'll look around a bit and see what others are using.

Thanks again for the help!