SOLVED: atapi.sys error is suddenly recurring constantly

scott14

Does anyone have experience / ideas re: solving a atapi.sys error?

Suddenly for no apparent reason the BSOD is recurring a lot, showing error: : atapi.sys.

BSOD is a fairly new experience for me.

This overclocked rig (DFI LanParty nF4 UT Ultra-D with AMD 3200+ cpu) is getting a tad old, built in April 2005, but rock stable since then (Prime95 stable 27 hours). The lifetime-warranty OCZ RAM tests good (Memtest86+). OS = Windows XP Pro SP2, fully updated.

After some Ask.com searches I read where someone else solved this by changing "Transfer Mode" in device manager from DMA to PIO. I did this, but it didn't fix the problem.

Thank you.

Edited by scott14

nitroshift,

Thank you for your reply!

O.K., the full memory dump created with Debugging Tools for Windows is on the web at:

UPDATE: unable to keep the computer alive long enough to ftp upload the FullMemoryDump.rar file< which is 498,948 KB in size.

Thank you anyway.

Edited by scott14

Every time I click the link, it opens in a new browser window with gibberish. If I choose "save as", I get "memory.htm" and it's not a valid archive, no matter what I rename it to (.7z or otherwise). Can you perhaps make it a .zip or a .rar?

Got it - right-click and save-as worked for me.

Thanks cluberti! Am downloading it now (while fixing a friend`s laptop) and will have a look at it a tad later. Will come back here with my findings (if any :lol: )

EDIT:

Downloaded it as html file (the only option IE7 let me) then renamed it to 7z. Now 7z tells me it's not a supported archive :blink: Just to confirm that the file is 23.5 MB in size...

Edited by nitroshift

OK, I will make a new memory dump and upload it again.

The previous one (the one you were unable to see) is zipped with 7-Zip. On the new one I'll zip it with .rar

Thank you both very much for your willingness to comment.

Thanks everybody.

The full memory dump file, after compression into a .rar, is 487 MB.

I can't keep it alive long enough to ftp upload the huge file.

However, I really appreciate all the comments intended to help.

I plan to start stripping out components, and see what makes a difference, starting off with the DVD burners.

THANK YOU ALL.

The purpose of this post is to try & help the next guy who has this same problem.

memory dump or not atapi.sys has something to do with an optical drive...could be on the fritz with a bad cable, maybe even driver issues.

SOLVED: Based on bonestonne''s post I disconnected the DVD drive.

The BSOD error then immediately changed from "atapi.sys" to "sptd.sys" which relates to Daemon Tools.

Uninstalled Daemon Tools and the crashing instantly ceased. Where as previously I couldn't run more than 10 minutes w/o a BSOD, after uninstalling Daemon Tools there has not been a crash for over 24 hrs.

So bonestonne was right, it was an optical drive...the virtual optical drive set up by Daemon Tools. Must be a driver conflict with something else, I'm still tracing the conflict down.

It isn't entirely uncommon for Daemon Tools to cause this error. I'd suggest making sure you have the latest version of Daemon Tools on your box, and if you have any burning software, that it's compatible with the SCSI pass-thru driver DT uses. Also, if you've got any of the macrovision/sony/bmg rootkit CD drivers on your box, that can cause this as well.

i haven't touched Deamon Tools since the beta Vista 5536...only used Deamon because it wouldn't burn for balls...

atapi only stood out because if you look at an optical drive, or even in BIOS, it refers to all optical drives as Atapi CDROM

glad it helped you, my dad would think knowledge like that is useless.