SATA Rom Drives?

Hey Guys,

I just wanted to know if you guys know the names of the companies that make SATA Rom Drives. In my next system I am planning to put all my Rom Drives to be SATA. So if you guys can help me out, I would be really thankful.

Thanks Again, :hello:

P.S. Fusion :thumbup

I've got a Samsung (which is actually TSST) SATA DVD-RW. Works fine.

There's no speed advantage of SATA over IDE. For ROM's the speed is the speed, meaning if it's 18X, then it's 18X, whether it's SATA or IDE doesn't matter.

The only reason I opted for SATA over IDE is the cable - it's better for aerodynamics in the case; and because I don't have any IDE ports left.

ill definetly have to go with a sata dvd drive for my next comp, whenever that is.. ide should really be taken out, its just a waste of space. both the ide cables and the ide slots+controllers. i just hope that the sata drives are good now.

ide should really be taken out, its just a waste of space. both the ide cables and the ide slots+controllers.

I wouldn't dump the IDE drives or controllers just yet.

I've had some problems running DOS and CD based Maintainance and Recovery Utils on some PC's with SATA CD/DVD's. :}

Whats the advantage of using sata optical drives as opposed to ide apart from better airflow in your case? I've not read much about these drives

Cheers

Newer chipsets will not have PATA any more...

@ ripken204,

I can bend my PATA cables in a way that you will not even see it, and I´ll asure you it will have no negative effect, at least not for the temperatures or noise level of the PC.

I use SATA drives for future upgrades of the PC´s I sell... just my 2 cents ;).