98se UPGRADE to XP

philly

Hello....

I have win98se on my pc, i would like to upgrade to xp.

The only thing is i have lots of graphics programs (flash, dreamweaver etc)on my pc which i would like to keep, but i haven't got the cds for them.

So if i do a upgrade to xp will the programs remain in place??

So go and get CDs or DVDs. CD/DVD burners and a 50-pack spindle are dirt cheap nowadays. Or spend the same amount of money on a 4GB flash drive. Or download a trial of a commercial partition manager, create a small partition and move your files to that.

I wouldn't recommend an upgrade. This could cause problems later down the road. It's always best to backup your data, boot to the XPCD, format and install.

But no, if you upgrade, your files will remain.

I'd totally agree with Jeremy. A fresh install is always much better imho.

Another thing you might want to consider is if your installed apps on 98 are gonna be compatible with your new xp install. It has been some time since I used 98 and my memory is slowly fading, but seems like several apps had compatibility problems on xp and you will want to check into that as well.

Good Luck with your upgrading.

Well make sure you have plenty of ram if you're going to do much with graphics. Probably at least 1 gig 512 at the min. I did load XP on an old 450 pent II with 256 ram . It does run Integrator but slowly. That's about all I use it for and to access the net if I'm doing something on my other computer. It will burn a cd but I wouldn't expect any more.

Joe

so i take it what you guys are basically saying is......theres no guarantee that the programs will work if i do an upgrade B)

Unlike most upgrades, you'll be ripping out the 9x kernel and replacing it with an NT-based kernel. The registry will somewhat migrate over, but there are differences - this can break applications, so backing up your data and installing clean will probably result in the lowest amount of downtime. If any app breaks, or you need to troubleshoot some random upgrade-related problem, the upgrade will cost you more downtime and be more problematic than a clean install of XP and your apps, and migration of data back.

Were these programs freeware? If you bought and downloaded you should be able to download again if you saved your info customer number registry code etc. I still run Photo Deluxe 3.0 for photo editing (better than the crap in Roxio or Dell's photo program) . It does require a plugin and additional patch for it to run on xp. It may take some work to find these since the programs have been discontinued and are no longer supported. In the programs you might try clicking on the help then about and it frequently gives a link to their website.

I'd go with the clean install too.

Joe

Were these programs freeware?

no these are programs that were pre-installed on my pc, which i bought secondhand.

These programs are...Dreamweaver, Flash and Adobe Photoshop.

Edited by philly

One more thing you might check in the help/about area is to see if there is a product key and the name it was registered to some programs do show that info. You may be able to download again it using that key code and name and activate it. Since you bought it used your pretty much stuck with programs as is. If you bought it from a private party you might contact them and see if they have any cd or registration info. You might find the code on the program home page also.

Joe

Edited by Joe K

One more thing you might check in the help/about area is to see if there is a product key and the name it was registered to some programs do show that info. You may be able to download again it using that key code and name and activate it. Since you bought it used your pretty much stuck with programs as is. If you bought it from a private party you might contact them and see if they have any cd or registration info. You might find the code on the program home page also.

Joe

Several years back, I upgraded my own 98/SE system to XP-Pro SP1, with an upgrade CD.

The upgrade went off without a hitch. There was NO problem at all with program compatibility.

But XP didn't like my sound card, modem, scanner or one of my printers.

I had a new modem and sound card on the shelf (I'm in the PC business) but I had to buy a new scanner and I never did get that printer working with XP. I wound up replacing that too.

Doing an upgrade on an older PC is always fraught with disaster.

I lucked out, but many other people have not been so lucky.

You'll find horror stories about upgrades gone sour, all over the internet.

Finally after several years, I decided just recently to Clone my C: drive to a new HD and reformat my old C: drive and do a clean install of XP....(now XP + SP2). (I slipstreamed SP2 with XP, shortly after SP2 was released)

I now have an exclusive XP install with no remnants of 98/SE on the HD. My PC now runs much better and my registry has lost about 30megs of bloat and my C: drive has lost about 4 gigs of file loading.

It was well worthwhile to do the Clean Install.

My best advise would be to make a complete backup of your system, before you start.

I use Ghost, but other people use Acronis True Image, etc.

Good Luck,

Goat :blink: