Autoupdate What Does It Do?

I registered to this forum yesterday because I was also making a Unattended XP installation. I must say you guys are way more into this then anywhere else on the internet. Well enough with the chit chat. About my question..

I just viewed some of your files, and I saw the option:

[components]

autoupdate = off

I was wondering what it does. Since it's not described in ref.chm in the support directory on the xp cd.

Any ideas?

It is in ref.chm, here's a description on what it does:

Specifies whether to install AutoUpdate.

Syntax AutoUpdate = On | Off

Values:

On Installs AutoUpdate.

Off Does not install AutoUpdate

AutoUpdate is referring to the Automatic Updates Client, which you would find in System Properties.

I have noticed quite a few times that AutoUpdate lists a more updates that WU does. For example some driver updates were listed on AU but not on WU, and also some hotfixes that were not listed under critical on WU.

Does anyone know what the cause of this difference is?

I have noticed quite a few times that AutoUpdate lists a more updates that WU does. For example some driver updates were listed on AU but not on WU, and also some hotfixes that were not listed under critical on WU.

AFAIK, Automatic Updates is only showing Critical Updates, but then I cannot know for sure because all my AU clients are linked to my local SUS Server rather than the Internet. SUS Server only covers Critical Updates for the time being.