XP Home as server?

Yonah

Hello Folks,

Has anyone considered running windows XP Home on a network server, is it done? and if so, did it work?

The reason im asking is because i have a windows home license just laying arround doing nothing,

and i wondered how stable it would be if i used it with apache, xmail and other server software

Greetings,

It certainly wasn't designed to provide network services. :wacko:

While that's true, it's still sufficient for basic needs. Well, XP Pro at least -- patch TCP/IP limits if you want, disable stupid (or simple) file sharing, install IIS if you need it, etc. Throw XAMPP on it if you want Apache/MySQL. Works well enough for most uses.

But if you need lots of concurrent users (not that most home cable/DSL connections are fast enough for it anyways) - especially for IIS, DNS, DHCP, Windows' own VPN (over say, OpenVPN or things like Hamachi), Distributed File System (way overkill for any home setup IMO), ActiveDirectory (mostly pointless for just a handful of PCs), and all that stuff, then yes, XP might not work so well.

Making server use out of XP is against the EULA, but there's a fine line between sharing some files (arguably that's server use, but acceptable AFAIK) and using it primarily/just as a server on a larger scale (definitely against EULA).

Stability shouldn't be a real problem. But if all you want is like a LAMP server and perhaps mail (I would strongly advise against running a mail server at home for many reasons but it's your call), then why not just throw Linux on it really?

It certainly wasn't designed to provide network services. :wacko:

While that's true, it's still sufficient for basic needs. Well, XP Pro at least -- patch TCP/IP limits if you want, disable stupid (or simple) file sharing, install IIS if you need it, etc. Throw XAMPP on it if you want Apache/MySQL. Works well enough for most uses.

But if you need lots of concurrent users (not that most home cable/DSL connections are fast enough for it anyways) - especially for IIS, DNS, DHCP, Windows' own VPN (over say, OpenVPN or things like Hamachi), Distributed File System (way overkill for any home setup IMO), ActiveDirectory (mostly pointless for just a handful of PCs), and all that stuff, then yes, XP might not work so well.

Making server use out of XP is against the EULA, but there's a fine line between sharing some files (arguably that's server use, but acceptable AFAIK) and using it primarily/just as a server on a larger scale (definitely against EULA).

Stability shouldn't be a real problem. But if all you want is like a LAMP server and perhaps mail (I would strongly advise against running a mail server at home for many reasons but it's your call), then why not just throw Linux on it really?

indeed i found it to be against the eula to use home as a base for a server :o)

linux is, and probably remains, quite a mistery for me..

but i seem to be forced to marry a nice linux box heh

Use Linux. Even Microsoft doesn't use Windows for its servers...

100% false. So you say MS uses their competitor's products instead of theirs, and as sole evidence, you show another company's servers (Akamai's) instead of Microsoft's? :lol:

MS uses Akamai's services to distribute some of their stuff because they have lots of bandwidth and lots of servers at lots of peering points as well as servers co-lo at most major ISPs, and nothing more. It lowers usage of ISP's backbone connections (faster for everyone, cheaper and all) and makes for much faster and lower-latency downloads for everybody. Instead of MS having to put thousands of expensive servers at ISPs and peering points, sitting mostly idle except when there are service pack releases (like SP2 for Win2003, which was hard to get even using Akamai), they only pay Akamai for the actual bandwidth used. No hardware to buy, no agreements with ISPs required, no hardware/servers to maintain/upgrade/look after, etc. And it's not like they're the only ones using their services.

Now try that on every real MS website (not some Akamai mirror) like www.microsoft.com, search.microsoft.com, update.microsoft.com, maps, technet, msdn, msdn2, office, reasearch, support, premier, connect, office update, ms press, etc. Even the non-microsoft.com ones (like netfx3.com). It all runs IIS6 on Win2003.

Saying MS doesn't use Windows for its own servers is laughable at best. One would have to be a bit naive to believe that.

You all can continue believing in that.

Then why don't you use your beloved netcraft and check ANY of their domains? (anything but the Akamai mirrors). Or better yet, check the domains yourself manually. It's very easy.

You can continue living in your fantasy world...

Windows Server 2003 is just an advertising for the kind of guys like you.

Good joke. I laughed.

I use Linux, and my friends, too. I know no one who uses Windows for servers (except Microsoft for its front ones)

That was obvious. What would an rabid linux fanboy use on his server? And his couple friends (likely friends from a linux community)?

What you and a couple friends use has no real significance. You know, if someone came here, who has only been exposed to a niche environment, and said "I've only ever seen Macs", it doesn't actually mean the whole world uses Macs exclusively and nothing else.

On the other hand, I've seen several thousand Windows servers, and routinely see hundreds of them across many sites, and very, very few linux boxes. That's been the case for pretty much any place where I've worked (as a regular employee or contracting) over a long time.

Windows server sales are very strong. Having never seen a windows server box is basically admitting never having worked in IT in the last 12 years or so (before that, one would have seen a lot of Novell servers instead). If you exclude the cheap LAMP hosting boxes (for all them php forums and blogs), linux is likely outnumbered 1000:1 or more.

MS uses Windows basically everywhere.

MS uses Windows basically everywhere.

How did they solve the problem of viruses and everything?

As for my presence here, I am trying to figure out how to to crack Windows XP activation in the VirtualBox that is in My Debian Etch box. Who uses Windows? Only idiots.

Any ideas?

Edited by Blyiss

You won't find any information like that on this site.

Thank's for the info. And good-by, folk.

By the way, I am trying to crack my Windows that I bought legally.

Nice Windows, isn't it?

Edited by Blyiss