Two Years For File Swapping?

DaveXP

UK file swappers face up to two years' imprisonment under new copyright regulations under the provisions of a European directive, that are expected to take effect in the UK this month.

The Copyright and Related Rights Regulations 2003 was laid before Parliament on Friday after nearly a year's delay. It is expected to be passed in time to come into force by the end of October, according to legal experts.

The EUCD is intended to aid copyright holders in cracking down on counterfeiting and piracy, but organizations such as UK think tank the Foundation for Information Policy Research (FIPR) argue that it is likely to tighten the grip of large companies on consumers, because of the way it is being implemented across the European Union.

Struan Robertson, editor of the newsletter Out-Law, produced by UK law firm Masons, noted that this could be used to fine P2P users or send them to prison for up to two years. "By making a music file available for download for any other users of your chosen P2P network, you are communicating the work--potentially at least--to millions, i.e. to an extent that the music industry could say is prejudicing its rights," he said in a statement.

News Source: ZDNet

And further underground they drive it.

Until eventually its back where it began, just more sofisticated, hidden, and out of their reach. But just as prolific...

On a totally unrelated note (ahem) isnt encryption brilliant?

indeed.. i dunno why they think it will fix this problem.. i agree it will go all underground.. as i've said on a few sites.. like the RIAA, they say they work for the industry yet there run through the governments.. another means of revenue raising as the money doesnt go back into the chosen industry :)

Until eventually its back where it began, just more sofisticated, hidden, and out of their reach. But just as prolific...

On a totally unrelated note (ahem) isnt encryption brilliant?

Underground ...

Hey, who turned out the lights? Dude, hand me the encrypted cell phone so I can call 1337 to give us a hand pls.

:)

2 years for file swapping? Jeez, thats a slow connection....Oh wait, I see :) I agree with FthrJack, all it will do is make a big hoo-haa, grab a few headlines when little Emily is nicked for downloading a few Westlife tracks she hasnt got, but hardcore swappers are just going to continue albeit in a modified, less obvious form. If they tackled the cause, and not the effect (ie (in the main) hugely overpriced cds') maybe that would have an effect, but at the end of the day unless they're gonna form the mp3Police and go round knocking on doors demanding to see the contents of peoples hard drives, the effect will be all bark and no bite.

that would be funny. hello, we are hte mp3 police. we have a warant to search you pc. if u resist, we will search by force. :)

whats the point of buying an overpriced cd when most of the profits go to the RIAA? many artists dont get much from the cd so they dont care. it the middle man thats causing the problems. and those cd protection things are really that great when u think about it. many people now are getting p3 players, so they need to rip them. if not, they'll just start downloading again.

that would be funny. hello, we are hte mp3 police. we have a warant to search you pc. if u resist, we will search by force.

*Puts on the handcuffs on the PC* Hey Man he didnt do it u cant prove it! lmao