Browsing folders with large files is very slow

kukris

Disabled, or uninstalled?

They're all kernel-mode drivers, so having the user-mode portion disabled does nothing to disable the kernel drivers. Those load with the kernel, and as such are always enabled (even if unused by their application) unless uninstalled.

If you do this from the command line in a command prompt (dir /a or something on said folder), do you experience any delays, or does the list scroll by very fast?

I had some kind of conflict with AVG free and Zone Alarm free causing problems with mainly my download of SP2 for XP. The computer would freeze for 1-2 min. I switched Avast free and haven't had any trouble since. This happened on 2 different computers.

Joe

I also had freezes just scrolling through the folder SP2 was in. didn't matter if it was just the file or if I put it into it's own file folder. I found the Avast and it seems to work ok. I looked at Outpost firewall it looked like a lot of trouble to figure out. It was pretty aggrevating to figure out. I'd just partitioned my HD with Acronis so it did take me a while to get it sorted out. I had AVG give some false posatives in the copies of my XP disks too.

Joe

Edited by Joe K