SuperFetch advantages and disadvantages

m1c4d0

With SF On or OFF?

OFF

Greetings Nuhi... I've seen that review but there is nothing about perfomance except Loading Time :)

thats why i realy dont consider Superfetch essencial, i think it is good maybe in a enterprise environmento, or a office, where you work with "not so heavy" Aplications, where you only want is to work fast, have your program open faster, and so on..

But when you game, are you realy concern in who many seconds (yeah! seconds, nor minutes or hours :P) the game opens? Of course not, and look at this: you have superfetch, and your game opens 5 seconds faster than without it, and then it takes more 30 seconds to load the level.. so you loose 25seconds, and dont win anything...

so its your choice.. :P

m1c4d0, hi :)

What did you think that Superfetch is about? Overclocking your CPU? (Sarcasm)

It's "just" to improve loading times and the review author says it quite well, it's good if you have 1GB or more RAM.

However some people would like that removed regardless. That will provide faster Windows loading times because it won't load the collected Superfetch cache. Same happened when Prefetch in XP is disabled, XP starts faster, but my Firefox does not.

m1c4d0, hi :)

What did you think that Superfetch is about? Overclocking your CPU? (Sarcasm)

It's "just" to improve loading times and the review author says it quite well, it's good if you have 1GB or more RAM.

However some people would like that removed regardless. That will provide faster Windows loading times because it won't load the collected Superfetch cache. Same happened when Prefetch in XP is disabled, XP starts faster, but my Firefox does not.

Yeah, just eating RAM, nothing more :)

Microsoft is not (that) stupid to create a program to chew up a lot of memory with a tool that provides no additional value. That would only damage their image and have people lose confidence in their products.

You're kidding, right?

:)

Guys what is the confusion with all of this? It's simply caching, haven't you done some tweaks around it in the old days when we had more access to it?

Superfetch is just a marketing talk for a "better", more aggressive caching.

If you have 1GB or more RAM it's recommended to keep Superfetch in order to have faster startup times. Only question which remains is how good is their algorithm to free that cached memory when needed. If someone could test for example how much RAM was available for a game during playing with Superfetch on and off that would be something to discuss about. Since memory also fragments I would say it will always see more with it off. And now we're back to square one lol

Guys what is the confusion with all of this? It's simply caching, haven't you done some tweaks around it in the old days when we had more access to it?

Superfetch is just a marketing talk for a "better", more aggressive caching.

If you have 1GB or more RAM it's recommended to keep Superfetch in order to have faster startup times. Only question which remains is how good is their algorithm to free that cached memory when needed. If someone could test for example how much RAM was available for a game during playing with Superfetch on and off that would be something to discuss about. Since memory also fragments I would say it will always see more with it off. And now we're back to square one lol

I will when I'll get my notebook back :)