SuperFetch advantages and disadvantages

m1c4d0

Advantage: it improves start-up performance over time of applications, because it recognizes at which time programs are started. Therefore it can be helpful.

Disadvantage: what if your using a shared PC, where different users perform different actions at different times. Effect is reduced or can even be a disavantage.

Superfetch uses a certain amount of memory, if you do not mind program starting up a bit longer or you have a lot of applications open which take up a significatnt amount of your memory, then I would consider disabling it.

I am going to do a comparison for myself to see if it has any value for me, but because of the principles of Superfetch this is quite hard to do. I would need to perform similar tasks at specific times on 2 seperate installations and see if there is really much benefit from Superfetch. This result would be the biggest gain I could ever have from Superfetch.

Advantage: it improves start-up performance over time of applications, because it recognizes at which time programs are started. Therefore it can be helpful.

Disadvantage: what if your using a shared PC, where different users perform different actions at different times. Effect is reduced or can even be a disavantage.

Superfetch uses a certain amount of memory, if you do not mind program starting up a bit longer or you have a lot of applications open which take up a significatnt amount of your memory, then I would consider disabling it.

I am going to do a comparison for myself to see if it has any value for me, but because of the principles of Superfetch this is quite hard to do. I would need to perform similar tasks at specific times on 2 seperate installations and see if there is really much benefit from Superfetch. This result would be the biggest gain I could ever have from Superfetch.

Jeronimo,

I'm waiting for your results as a madman :)) Please, don't hesitate to share your exprerience with people over here :)

Thank You!

Is there a way to monitor SuperFetch activity? Does it appear somewhere in the Event Log?

I would like to find out what decisions it takes.

No idea man. All I can find in the net are bunch of articles about SuperFetch and ReadyBoost features. It's all about loading your favorite programs etc.

Btw, I guess there is no reason to remove SuperFetch from installation using vLite, because you can turn it off by visiting SERVICES menu, am I right? :)

The reason I asked about SuperFetch is to understand how it's affect on multiple tasks. For example, I'm using Office progs, Photoshop and many other programs day by day. Also, I'm playing games on my Asus Z84J notebook with 2GB ram, NV 7600 512VRAM.

I've heard that SuperFetch is a killer of RAM and affects bad if playing games etc. But I can not find any proves about it. Let's investigate this if you like...

Is there a way to monitor SuperFetch activity? Does it appear somewhere in the Event Log?

You can monitor it from Resource Monitor. After it starts fetching you can actually see what files it reads.

I noticed that it fetches some junk stuff (like old presentation files, movies etc) i didn't even opened since i installed Vista.

You can monitor it from Resource Monitor. After it starts fetching you can actually see what files it reads.

I noticed that it fetches some junk stuff (like old presentation files, movies etc) i didn't even opened since i installed Vista.

LOL... Why don't you try to play some game and then try it again with SuperFetch when it's off? You can count fps etc...

Well, i have posted this in a portuguese forum im registered, and this is what you get when you disable Superfetch + some uneeded services in vista, and perform a optimization to registry and RAM!

Look at this ram consumption with all vista eye-candy!

memoria.jpg

I am working in a tutorial for sharing this (portuguese for now), but is a bit dificult because i am full of school works...

So in terms of RAM consumption, and overall multimédia programs performance, yes! you will have some gains!

In my honnest opinion I think low ou mid end configurations doesnt realy gain anything with Superfetch..

Cant you wait more 2 or 3 (exagerating) secs for some aplication to open?

Lets be serious, you still have perfetch, and in XP you didnt had perfetch, and until now we survived :rolleyes::D

greets

Sure I can wait 2-3 secs before the application will open and I'm not a SuperFetch fan :))) All I want to know is what is the dfference between ON/OFF in games. If I'll loose 20% of my performance, then bye bye fetch ))

Sorry, I can't test it now because my notebook is in repair center :)

Less memory usage, does not necessarily mean you gain performance. When you always use 400MB tops on a 1GB machine, it does mean you overpaid. I can understand that the intentions are sound of Superfetch.

The tool uses up quite a portion of memory, which can cause portions of other programs to be placed in the pagefile and therefore a degradation might occur there. But that in the majority of cases this is not the cases and programs respond faster when started up. Microsoft is not (that) stupid to create a program to chew up a lot of memory with a tool that provides no additional value. That would only damage their image and have people lose confidence in their products.

Less memory usage, does not necessarily mean you gain performance. When you always use 400MB tops on a 1GB machine, it does mean you overpaid. I can understand that the intentions are sound of Superfetch.

The tool uses up quite a portion of memory, which can cause portions of other programs to be placed in the pagefile and therefore a degradation might occur there. But that in the majority of cases this is not the cases and programs respond faster when started up. Microsoft is not (that) stupid to create a program to chew up a lot of memory with a tool that provides no additional value. That would only damage their image and have people lose confidence in their products.

Nobody knows yet man... We must complete some benchmarks to see the real situation.

At least in games i have gained some performance...