HOWTO: Windows Vista x86 and x64 in the same DVD

chon_

has anybody done this with the vista sp1 dvds ? everytime i try it errors out saying file is larger than 4g

Are you using single or dual-layer DVDs?

On a side note, has anyone tried integrating the Vista Enterprise DVDs (both 32 and 64-bit) into one installer? Same instructions, except you're actually merging four DVDs (retail 32-bit, retail 64-bit, Enterprise 32-bit, and Enterprise 64-bit) instead of two.

EDIT: I've done so recently, and it works great!

10 different Vistas (Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Enterprise, and Ultimate x86 and the same five x64)--all install just fine!

Edited by killerb255

• 2 months later...

windowsvistax64edition2.png

thanks to this invaluable guide that I could do this job. Which employs only 4.21gb!

ah Raffa, this is called mod. Learn to meet with me ... be no need to claim anything!

Edited by sanyinet

• 3 weeks later...

1> i had made 3 folders, distribution,s x86,v x86, and i copied my vista dvd to distribution.

then i copied install.wim of server 2k8 to s x86, and moved install.wim of vista from distribution to v x86

2> i merged vista x32 ultimate install.wim & server 2008 x32 enterprise install.wim using giimagex in a single

install.wim,and deleted all clg files and copyed eula of server to vista license all process done fine.

3> i made a iso using ocdimage cmd

4> when i try to install iso using vmware. i could not get server 2008 in os selection menu and vista setup start

automatically

plz help me out y server 2008 is not showing in the os selection menu

:wacko:

1> i had made 3 folders, distribution,s x86,v x86, and i copied my vista dvd to distribution.

then i copied install.wim of server 2k8 to s x86, and moved install.wim of vista from distribution to v x86

2> i merged vista x32 ultimate install.wim & server 2008 x32 enterprise install.wim using giimagex in a single

install.wim,and deleted all clg files and copyed eula of server to vista license all process done fine.

4> when i try to install iso using vmware. i could not get server 2008 in os selection menu and vista setup start

automatically

automatically

is it possible to have a custon name instead of the original windows names??? and what about the autounattended file?? How can you make those version to use it's own xml files once selected??

Please help guys, don't abandon this post!!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I've used the guide in Vista and worked flawlessly trying it Windows 7 and I'm getting error during install.

I'll be using my x64 and x86 RTM , you can use the ones you have (retail, etc.), the procedure is the same.

1. Please download and install the Windows7 Automated Installation Kit (AIK).
2. Please create a working folder:
c:\Windows7AIO\Distribution\
and two more folders in it x86 and x64
3. Now, copy all the contents of your x86 DVD to the distribuition folder, in c:\Windows7AIO\Distribution\
4. Move the file named install.wim from c:\Windows7AIO\Distribution\Sources to c:\Windows7AIO\Distriburion\x86

Delite all *.clg files from source folder!! And ei.cfg!!

5. Copy the file named install.wim from the Sources folder of your x64 RTM to the folder c:\Windows7AIO\Distribution\x64 (only install.wim)
6. Now, with admin rights, open the Deployment Tools Command Prompt (click in Start/All programs/Microsoft Windows AIK)
7. We change directory to our working folder:
Code:
CD c:\Windows7AIO\Distribution\Sources

8. OK, here's the tricky part. We are now about to export the images of each windows version to a single .WIM image file. The command to do this is IMAGEX.EXE. The syntax is as follows:

Code:
imagex /export c:\Windows7AIO\Distribution\x86\install.wim 1 .\install.wim "Windows7 Home Basic x86"
imagex /export c:\Windows7AIO\Distribution\x64\install.wim 1 .\install.wim "Windows7 Home Basic x64"

This is what the first line of code does: export Version 1 of the source image file named Install.wim located in the folder c:\Windows7AIO\Distribution\x86 to the destination image file named Install.wim located in c:\Windows7AIO\Distribution. The number 1 corresponds to the Home Basic edition of Windows, take a look at the following table, for the SourceNumber and its corresponding Windows Edition:

Number Windows x86Edition
1 Home Basic
2 Home Premium
3 Professional
4 Starter
5. Ultimate

Number Windows x64Edition
1 Home Basic
2 Home Premium
3 Professional
4. Ultimate
*there is no starter edition in x64!

Thus, for example if we wanted to add the 64bit Ultimate version of Windows7 to our newly created image we type the following command:

Code:
imagex /export c:\Windows7AIO\Distribution\x64\install.wim 4 .\install.wim "Windows7 Ultimate x64"

9. Now that we've created our .WIM image file, let's create our ISO image file to make it ready to burn it to a DVD. To do this, still in the Deployment Tools Command Prompt window, we type:

Code:
oscdimg -n -bc:\Windows7AIO\distribution\boot\etfsboot.com c:\Windows7AIO\distribution c:\Win7_AIO.iso -m

This will create an ISO file named Win7_AIO.iso in c:\
Delete x86 and x64 folder!!Delete al .clg files from your distribution folder!! Delete Ei.cfg!!
Burn it with Nero on DVD and thats it!

thx go to member chon's guide on on MSFN forum, that I modified to win7

Enjoy

Edited by Djus

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I've used the guide in Vista and worked flawlessly trying it Windows 7 and I'm getting error during install.

I'll be using my x64 and x86 RTM , you can use the ones you have (retail, etc.), the procedure is the same.

1. Please download and install the Windows7 Automated Installation Kit (AIK).
2. Please create a working folder:
c:\Windows7AIO\Distribution\
and two more folders in it x86 and x64
3. Now, copy all the contents of your x86 DVD to the distribuition folder, in c:\Windows7AIO\Distribution\
4. Move the file named install.wim from c:\Windows7AIO\Distribution\Sources to c:\Windows7AIO\Distriburion\x86

Delite all *.clg files from source folder!! And ei.cfg!!

5. Copy the file named install.wim from the Sources folder of your x64 RTM to the folder c:\Windows7AIO\Distribution\x64 (only install.wim)
6. Now, with admin rights, open the Deployment Tools Command Prompt (click in Start/All programs/Microsoft Windows AIK)
7. We change directory to our working folder:
Code:
CD c:\Windows7AIO\Distribution\Sources

8. OK, here's the tricky part. We are now about to export the images of each windows version to a single .WIM image file. The command to do this is IMAGEX.EXE. The syntax is as follows:

Code:
imagex /export c:\Windows7AIO\Distribution\x86\install.wim 1 .\install.wim "Windows7 Home Basic x86"
imagex /export c:\Windows7AIO\Distribution\x64\install.wim 1 .\install.wim "Windows7 Home Basic x64"

This is what the first line of code does: export Version 1 of the source image file named Install.wim located in the folder c:\Windows7AIO\Distribution\x86 to the destination image file named Install.wim located in c:\Windows7AIO\Distribution. The number 1 corresponds to the Home Basic edition of Windows, take a look at the following table, for the SourceNumber and its corresponding Windows Edition:

Number Windows x86Edition
1 Home Basic
2 Home Premium
3 Professional
4 Starter
5. Ultimate

Number Windows x64Edition
1 Home Basic
2 Home Premium
3 Professional
4. Ultimate
*there is no starter edition in x64!

Thus, for example if we wanted to add the 64bit Ultimate version of Windows7 to our newly created image we type the following command:

Code:
imagex /export c:\Windows7AIO\Distribution\x64\install.wim 4 .\install.wim "Windows7 Ultimate x64"

9. Now that we've created our .WIM image file, let's create our ISO image file to make it ready to burn it to a DVD. To do this, still in the Deployment Tools Command Prompt window, we type:

Code:
oscdimg -n -bc:\Windows7AIO\distribution\boot\etfsboot.com c:\Windows7AIO\distribution c:\Win7_AIO.iso -m

This will create an ISO file named Win7_AIO.iso in c:\
Delete x86 and x64 folder!!Delete al .clg files from your distribution folder!! Delete Ei.cfg!!
Burn it with Nero on DVD and thats it!

thx go to member chon's guide on on MSFN forum, that I modified to win7

Enjoy

Whoever you quoted that steps from, it's incorrect.

1. You don't need to delete the *.clg files, only ei.cfg

2. You will need to delete the x86 and x64 folders first before creating the iso with oscdimg.

• 6 months later...