run<msconfig help

chapper

Hii all, looking forward to getting to know you! Am new here & really hope you can help me with "run>misconfig" problem that I have had since quite some time and have spent hours& hours & hours over several days trying to solve.

I have sought help on several forums, Googled till I'm half blind. found a thread here concerning this problem without any luck & what info I have found is not very encouraging.

Am using XP Pro SP2.

All commands except for MSCONFIG open. Help & Support opens also. Have tried sfc /scannow to no avail. MISCONFIG>EXE shows up in the registry.

Is there any thing I can do short of a repair installation? Never heard of this, but is there a way to find the file on my XP Pro disc?

Really going bonkers here; it's an annoying handicap, as you can imagine.

Much thanks for any help.

Have you tried launching it directly from the source?

C:\Windows\system32\msconfig.exe (C:\Windows\system32\msconfig.cpl should also work, but I think the .exe is the one you need to have).

**or whatever your system folder is**

Has this computer always had this problem, or is it new?

You may be able to copy the above 2 files from another PC if they are not present...? Or extract MSCONFIG.EX_ from the I386 directory of the Windows installation disk.

Have you tried launching it directly from the source?

C:\Windows\system32\msconfig.exe (C:\Windows\system32\msconfig.cpl should also work, but I think the .exe is the one you need to have).

**or whatever your system folder is**

Has this computer always had this problem, or is it new?

You may be able to copy the above 2 files from another PC if they are not present...? Or extract MSCONFIG.EX_ from the I386 directory of the Windows installation disk.

Thanks Flash for the quick reply. I've tried to open it from the source, no go. Just now pasted your 2 files in search & both come up with no results. As I said above MISCONFIG.EXE shows up in the registry.

I don't have another XP PC.

It's had this problem for quite a while but it has worked in this installation. It's only lately that I've had this problem.

Afraid I don't know how to extract the MSCONFIG.EXE from the disc unless I do a search on the D drive, is that what I should do? actually just did that with no results.

firstly my copy of msconfig is located in C:\WINDOWS\pchealth\helpctr\binaries, not in system32

secondly if you put in your xp cd and type in to the run dialog box

"expand x:\i386\MSCONFIG.EX_ C:\WINDOWS\pchealth\helpctr\binaries\msconfig.exe"

where x: is the letter of your cd drive that should restore the file from the cd for you.