Slipstreaming Updates in Vista...

To me pkgmgr is better because it don't just add the Hotfixes to a folder to be installed. Run it and you're done. I done 16 yesterday without a hitch including Dream Scene. :thumbup

Peimg doesn't add the hotfixes to a folder either, it autointegrates/replaces files using Import/Install options and you'll see the Updates as installed when you go view the Updates that are installed on the system after Vista setup or if you were to load the image in System Image Manager and were to look under Packages.

One of the other reasons I prefer Peimg over Pkgmgr besides its ease of use is that Peimg, being made to run for WindowsPE images as well means it has to integrate the stuff directly because if one were to use a WindowsPE image they wouldn't want the hotfixes/packages that are integrated into it to not be ready for use from first boot. The same applies with the Peimg driver integration, it'll bypass any WHQL issues during Vista setup that a driver may have and install it without any popup messages.

Nevertheless, some folks may prefer Pkgmgr over Peimg or Peimg over Pkgmgr which is why I'm looking at giving the option of using your preferred choice in a future Hotfix Integrator Pack.

Edited by Arneh

What happens if a newer version of an update were to come out and be integrated, for example, anti-whatever tools, definition updates, etc. Is the installation smart enough to install updates in the order they were created, or could something get FUBAR'ed?

Edited by KevinGT

What happens if a newer version of an update were to come out and be integrated, for example, anti-whatever tools, definition updates, etc. Is the installation smart enough to install updates in the order they were created, or could something get FUBAR'ed?

Definition Updates and the Malicious Software Removal tool are unrelated to the actual integration of Hotfixes, as in they're not part of the pkgmgr/peimg process. They get manually copied over (ie. in my Integrator batch app, you replace the updated files in \x86\Defender\ and \x86\MRT\ and the new ones will copy over the old files in the install.wim when you run the batch.

Edited by Arneh

Definition Updates and the Malicious Software Removal tool are unrelated to the actual integration of Hotfixes, as in they're not part of the pkgmgr/peimg process. They get manually copied over (ie. in my Integrator batch app, you replace the updated files in \x86\Defender\ and \x86\MRT\ and the new ones will copy over the old files in the install.wim when you run the batch.

That's good to hear (well, read) :thumbup

• 2 weeks later...

Does one have to extract all the contents of Vista DVD? Can one not just extract install.wim using a ISO utility since that's the only file that is changing.

Then, one can inject the updated install.wim back into the ISO.

This saves the trouble of extracting all the content, then recreating the ISO using some other tool.

Thanks in advance.