[FileFlags] section of TXTSETUP.SIF

What's the purpose of the [FileFlags] section included in the TXTSETUP.SIF file? What's the meaning of the 16 value per entry (file)?

Anyone ? I have searched over the net and on this forum and no go :(

• 3 months later...

@mrnxdmx: I think you'll find no "official response". Most Windows setup files are not documented at all. Remember this is propietary software, so Microsoft reserves the rights of not documenting certain parts of the operating system. Only researchers and hackers (such as the the missing gosh of this forum) can explain them. And not completely, only partially. I think the exact purpose of this section still is unknown.

However, in my own tests I've found out that this section is necessary when you add files of your own (like drivers), because if you don't make this, Windows Setup can show you an error box indicating the file was not found and Setup is unable to continue... Add the undocumented flag "16" to each added file. This is specially true when upgrading from another version of Windows.

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all replies. As I'm building ie7 addons, i'm addng new files that are not in standart xp sp2 disc. So that, i need to use fileflags (16) values for new files, in order to prevent possible errors.

The link 7Epsilon gave describes all situations :)