anywhere left to buy win98se?

rov

Check the Restore CD. Often, the *.cab files needed to install 98 are hidden in a lost sub-directory. If you can find an oemsetup.exe or WinXX_XX.cab files, there's a chance.

If you don't find anything then eBay's your friend.

Check the Restore CD. Often, the *.cab files needed to install 98 are hidden in a lost sub-directory. If you can find an oemsetup.exe or WinXX_XX.cab files, there's a chance.

If you don't find anything then eBay's your friend.

Ok, let me restate my problem, since it seems to have gotten lost:

- I have the backup CDs for Win98 First Edition that was installed on an old Toshiba laptop.

- I've been able to use those CDs to install a fresh copy of Win98 First Edition on a new, 100 GB hard drive

- I'm now looking for some way to upgrade, update, or whatever, to Win98 Second Edition

So, suggestions like looking on the backup CDs for the .cabs, asking M$ for their help, etc. - I don't think that does me any good. The .cabs on the backup CDs are FIRST EDITION - I need Second Edition. M$ is surely not going to help anyone to remain stuck in the past, especially since they discontinued support for Win9x over a year ago, etc., etc...

Forgive my frustration folks, but please reread the original post so your reply is relevant.

Looks like my only choice is ebay or a swap meet. Flame away...

Look around the internet...and no, I'm not talking about warez or anything shady. I was looking for Windows 95B a little over year ago, since I wanted to compare it to Win95A. I started my search at Amazon, which pointed me to several other online vendors. (Note: be careful, as some of these vendors are less than reputable. MS would probably be able to tell you if there was a "problem" vendor if you had any questions). Point is, I was able to buy, brand new and still sealed, Windows95B, with COA and all documentation, for about $13.00, legally, circa 2005. Just look around and be persistant, as you'll probably have to search more than one vendor. I was recently pricing Vista, and still saw Win98SE at a couple of places. It's out there, you just have to find it

rov - apologies if this is beside the point, but what is it that you expect 98SE will do for your son that can't be done with 98FE? I have one machine with FE and one with SE, and there isn't any difference in what each will do except that the SE machine has the free space bug and the FE one does not. I've been told that SE is necessary to collect music and burn to CD's, etc. but the hardware capabilities of your laptop are limited for that sort of thing anyway.

rov - apologies if this is beside the point, but what is it that you expect 98SE will do for your son that can't be done with 98FE? I have one machine with FE and one with SE, and there isn't any difference in what each will do except that the SE machine has the free space bug and the FE one does not. I've been told that SE is necessary to collect music and burn to CD's, etc. but the hardware capabilities of your laptop are limited for that sort of thing anyway.

Thanks for posting georg & doc365a, and apologies to the rest for being snippy - bad hair day yesterday.

my main interest in 98SE is it appears most of the security fixes, patches, updates, etc. are for SE only. all of the unofficial goodies on this site are also SE only. i probably wouldn't care, except my son will probably want to get on the 'net someday. we have a home network w/ hardware firewall, but i'd still prefer to have each pc on the network as up-to-date as possible as far as security goes.

i'm still digging around the web looking for non-shady places to get 98SE. if i find it, i'll post the link...

Anybody want to argue that SE may be less secure than FE? With SE came active desktop, web integration, active x controls, direct x, and the idea that the computer should be accepting commands from the web even while suspended. SE added only a few new features:

Improved USB and DVD support

Multiple computer modem sharing

Multiple monitor support

Web TV

SE bug fixes and improvements were added to FE with Service Pack 1. The security fixes are needed because of the SE changes listed above. Neither OS is truly more reliable or secure.

The FE machine with anti-virus, firewall, tea timer, and spyware blaster is on the web every day browsing with firefox. Several novels were written on it, a lot of image editing, a genealogy database of over 22,000 people, a ton of e-mail, utilities and stuff like elf bowling and Saddam blaster downloaded from the web, multimedia encyclopedias and language programs, etc. I wouldn't do my banking with it, but it does venture onto myspace and craigslist.

Laptops are sold with a package of programs that work together. Upgrade the OS on an old machine and you may find you have broken something else. Some of the system file protection ideas that made ME infamous began with SE. Machines tend to run best with the software that is on them when they ship. Many hours of my life have been spent fixing problems that piggybacked into a machine on an upgrade, and downgrades are worse.

Anybody want to argue that SE may be less secure than FE? With SE came active desktop, web integration, active x controls, direct x, and the idea that the computer should be accepting commands from the web even while suspended.
Laptops are sold with a package of programs that work together. Upgrade the OS on an old machine and you may find you have broken something else. Some of the system file protection ideas that made ME infamous began with SE.

This is most lamest things i've ever heard. FE contained same "active desktop, web integration, active x controls, direct x" in even worse implementation. SE file protection was same as FE and almost same as 95.

SE >= FE, only this way.

Windows 98 = Windows 95A + FAT32 + USB + IE4 + some bug fixes.

IE4 = browser + Active Desktop (which is the shell upgrade and web integration all-in-one, essentially)

DirectX has existed since Windows 95. It's not even a bad technology, it's a good one, facilitating the creation of games.

Well, I'm trying to resurrect an old Toshiba laptop for my son (2nd grader). It's sloow, but built like a tank (Satellite 4030CDT). Anyway, the hard drive is maxed out, so I bought a new one (100 GB for only about 75 bucks). That's way more than it needs to be, but I figured when the laptop finally croaks, I can make the HDD into an external USB drive for backup.

So, the machine came with Win98 (NOT Win98SE). I tried to clone the old HDD onto the new one, but it failed. The new drive is partitioned and formatted, and is supposed to be bootable, but it won't actually boot! I also tried to restore to the new drive from the backup CDs that came with the laptop, but that didn't work either.

Question is, anybody know where I can buy an actual copy of Win98SE? I was thinking of just installing a fresh copy of Win98 from scratch. Called a few stores today and they all kinda laughed.

Any help is appreciated...

I have a Win98SE CD that I will give you free of charge-post an email address here where I can contact you to make arrangements.

Windows 98 SE? Wow that brings back memory's. Well if you are happy with just the code i could probably snail mail one to you. (allow ages from delivery). Were i work we keep throwing cases out that have windows 98 and me codes on them. I know these are OEM codes but given the age of the product i don't know if it will matter very much. Anyway give me a PM and i'll message you one of the codes and arrange postage if you really want the sticker too.

Here's a place to buy a brand new OEM copy of Win 98SE for $59:

http://www.bigclearance.com/productList.aspx?prodInfoId=9508

I haven't bought from them lately, but I did buy my copy of Win98SE from them back in 1999 when it was a new O/S.

(I also bought, 3 or 4 years ago, new OEM copies of Win NT4 and Win 95C (OSR 2.5) from them, all Win 95 is gione now.)