Why not a service pack construction kit?

Instead of unofficial service packs and autopatchers, why hasn't someone created a framework that will let anyone create their own service pack? The Win2K/XP folks have HFSLIP and nLite to help them create customized ISOs that can be burned to CD-R/W. I realize that there are reasons why this can't be done with Win9x. But why not something similar? If creating a slipstreamed CD isn't possible, then how about something that can be used to patch Windows 98 SE and/or tweak it during installation, or soon afterward?

Phil

Actually, you can slipstream Win9x. I've done it, but limited. You just replace the older files by the newer ones, and modify their size in layout.inf. That's how I did it with Win95 OSR 2.5. However, don't slipstream newer files that need different registry entries.

Instead of a service pack construction kit, another possibility is to use software that makes updating a fresh install of Win98 and adding software much easier. Looking at the problem from that perspective, perhaps the Windows Post-Install Wizard (WPI) could be a good base to work from. Or maybe it could be used as is?

BTW, the forum for WPI is here on MSFN:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showforum=93

What do you think? Does WPI look like a promising candidate?

Phil

Does WPI work under a Win98 or WinME machine, Phil?

well I've created my own personal version of the unofficial 98se SP, similar to my unofficial 98 1st ed. SP and unofficial osr2 update rollup...but NOT using WPI - btw

Does WPI work under a Win98 or WinME machine, Phil?

Yes. According to the requirements:

Originally, WPI was designed to run at 800X600. WPI 3.5 now theoretically supports all possible resolutions. WPI also requires the Windows Scripting host. Windows 2000, XP, 2003 and Vista can run .HTA Files right out of the box by default. WPI now supports custom made user friendly themes for full customization. WPI has been tested and used on all Windows operating systems fro 98 onwards just make sure IE is updated.

It's recommended that you have:

* Internet Explorer 6 (which comes with XP).

* Knowledge of program installation switches.

* Time to configure the thing.

* Some paitence.

* Also if your project is very ambitious you might consider VMWare or Virtual PC (Which is now free) for testing.

See http://wpiw.net/doc.html

Phil

Mwahahahahahaahahh I see WPI has been suggested. It actually would be very good for this, comlicated to setup properly (Ya know checking for file versions and regentries to determine which patches are actually need and such) but all in all it would be very good...

I will do some more testing on win98 to see what the absolute minimum requirments would be to run WPI now...