Unattended Secret: Reducing Size Of Source

2- Remove some folders reduce the original CD-ROM to 376Mo*

* Removed Folders at root: DOCS - DOTNETFX - SUPPORT - VALUEADD

* Removed Folders in I386: LANG - WIN9XMIG - WIN9XUPG - WINNTUPG

May I ask how exactly you go this? My standard WinXP with SP2 cd with these folders removed is 404MB...

2- Remove some folders reduce the original CD-ROM to 376Mo*

* Removed Folders at root: DOCS - DOTNETFX - SUPPORT - VALUEADD

* Removed Folders in I386: LANG - WIN9XMIG - WIN9XUPG - WINNTUPG

May I ask how exactly you go this? My standard WinXP with SP2 cd with these folders removed is 404MB...

It is probably the size for SP1.

i know this is quite old but i have a question

i do other stuff to my xpcd and was wondering when i do this

for example, this is the order of things i do when i start a cd

1. nlite

2. driver packs

3. add programs and etc.

i was just wondering where this would come in

before everything? maybe after?

thanks

I made a reduced size xp pro corp /w sp1 integrated cd following the first post of this thread and it works just fine even with my unattend stuff added to it. The only advantage to this is the reduced share size allowing me to keep everything on 1 cd.

There is absolutely no speed increase during install even without my unattend files added. It still takes nearly an hour without my UA stuff added. What gives? Someone posted in this thread that their cd installs in 20 minutes. I'd sure like to know how that's done.

Well I guess you need to tell us what method you use to UA your Apps for a start.

To give you an idea my NLited XP installs in about 12 to 13 Minutes & I UA install straight after bout thirty apps in another twenty mins max using runonceEx from CD. (The file copy phase is a killer). Very happy with the CD method. I do use Gosh's method (Very respected member here & missed. Where is Gosh??) on my Multiboot works flawlessly. Don't know if the reduced source regime can further be NLited though & how reliable it would then be?? I'm sure someone else has done it here though.

I do everything from RunOnceEx.cmd. I timed my last install without my updates, tweaks, etc and it took 45 minutes from the time format finished to the final reboot.

I've attached my full runonceex.cmd file, but that isn't the problem. XP is just slow as usual installing itself long before it gets to the runonceex.cmd file.

I don't use nLite or anything like that. Notepad works fine for me.

My hardware isn't the issue I'm sure:

Asus P4B533-E mobo

Intel P4 2.4ghz

1 gig ddr266 ram

80gb WD special edition hd

160gb WD special edition hd

TDK 52x cdrw

Plextor px-708a

I'm using virtual pc to test my UA .iso's. Maybe that's the problem.

RunOnceEx.cmd

Yes don't know why its taking that long though XP is full of bloat. Nlite by the way basically reduces the source files of the OS, where you choose what to remove or keep. Just looking through your runonceex you appear to have many hotfixes in there may want to look @ upgrading to SP2 & include Ryan VM hotfix pack may save you a little.

Nice rigg you have there though.

I've been down the sp2 road. Never again. Too many problems with it. Besides, it's completely unnecessary since I use firefox and thunderbird instead of IE and OE. Also I use Ad-aware pro's Adwatch feature and Spybot's SD Resident, plus Norton Internet Security 2005 and I'm behind a NAT equipped router. Haven't had a single internet related problem since, no worms, viruses, trojans, popups, browser hijacks, nothing.

Most of the hotfixes I have installing through RunOnceEx aren't even for me. I only have maybe 6 or 7 hotfixes installed. I do alot of fresh installs for people who don't have a clue, and I won't add sp2 simply because I don't want people complaining that something I did is causing problems, so I let them install sp2 if they want. Might make a sp2 UA cd sometime though for those people.

In reponse to your question about my Fonts.exe, its just a collection of true type fonts in a winrar sfx file which extracts silently to %windir%\fonts. Same with VisualStyles.exe, extracting to %windir%\resources\themes.

• 2 weeks later...

hi

i am using the gosh guide to Reducing Size Of windows XP SP2.

but the installtion is freezing in T-9

this is my winnt.sif

[Data]
MsDosInitiated = 0
UnattendedInstall = Yes

[Unattended]
UnattendMode = FullUnattended
UnattendSwitch = Yes
OemPreinstall = Yes
OemSkipEula = Yes
FileSystem = *
WaitForReboot = No
TargetPath = "\Windows"
DriverSigningPolicy = Ignore
NonDriverSigningPolicy = Ignore

[SystemFileProtection]
  SFCQuota=0  
  SFCDisable=ffffff9d

[SystemRestore]
MaximumDataStorePercentOfDisk = 0

[GuiUnattended]
      AdminPassword=*
      EncryptedAdminPassword=NO
TimeZone = 120
OEMSkipRegional = 1
OemSkipWelcome = 1

[UserData]
ProductKey = "*************************"
ComputerName = "MAIN"
FullName = "Admin"
OrgName = "RabyTec"

[TapiLocation]
  CountryCode=963
  Dialing=Tone
  AreaCode=52

[RegionalSettings]
  LanguageGroup=13
  SystemLocale=00002801
  UserLocale=00002801
  InputLocale=0409:00000409

[Identification]
JoinWorkgroup = MSHOME

[Networking]
  InstallDefaultComponents=Yes

[Components]
  msmsgs=off
  minesweeper=off
  zonegames=off
  fax=on

thanks

• 3 weeks later...

:w00t: please help stoping my insanity

in using this post which is awesome and not using all of the remove bats i have made a spindle of coasters.

finally figured out how to use vmware a little but my main problem is

windows extracted to C drive

go thru all it says , this is my first post so hopefully it is being posted to correct thread http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=9478

used the download from gosh

these are what i did not remove---

network adapters, agent, I connection wizard, I explorer, I information services, netmeeting, Remote D connection, W Management Instrumentation, and Wordpad

yes ran the before you begin, and in the end finsih off

yet upon instalation, and i mean CLEAN instalation on another puter with nothing on it.

i will only tell you the first few because of the length of the list of .dll etc not found

cannot cpy files

cnbjmon.dll

pjlmon.dll

dfrgres.dll

and the list goes on and on

i have taken this from a fully functional version of basic XP pro, so basic it doesnt even have an SP on it(oh for the replies that say try it on a sp1 i did)

and since this post has not had any updates for a while and trust me i have dug around for a while to find updated posts and countless hours i am at wits end. if i could explain all to this post i have done it would be the size of a Stephen King novel. so i am trying to keep it basic.

any help on this would be gladly appreciated

wherzdaluv